Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 AM

Default Click question

Can I set my click plugin in PT to count of 1/8th notes as opposed to 1/4 notes and if so how? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Click question

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttimestudios View Post
Can I set my click plugin in PT to count of 1/8th notes as opposed to 1/4 notes and if so how? Thanks.
Hi,

Insert a digirack delay. set to quaver. set mix to 50%

(Turn up the feedback level to annoy the drummer)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Insert a digirack delay. set to quaver. set mix to 50%

(Turn up the feedback level to annoy the drummer)

Chris

hey! don't bug the drummer..he has enough pressure

a printed click can be handy sometimes in 7.4 when you want to be in minutes and seconds but still have an eye on the grid lines

and you can double up and stagger a cop of that track for a double up an 8th note apart.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Or just double the tempo. This works great for initial tracking of Drums or other non midi instruments. Then half the tempo to get started editing or overdubbing.
I am going to try Crizdees method next time though as it is simpler, and one cue mix could be quarter notes, while another could be eighths or triplets (for folks who like subdivisions). Cool. SB
Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
From the edit window, click on the + sign next to Tempo in the upper left hand section of the screen. That will display a pop-up Tempo window. Then click-and-hold on the qtr. note icon shown IN that pop-up window. It should now display the various options for note resolution (1/8 note being one of them) of the click.

HTH...

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Just click on meter, and change it to whatever resolution (i.e. quarter, half) This way you don't have to double your tempo but the click will double.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElfBoy View Post
Just click on meter, and change it to whatever resolution (i.e. quarter, half) This way you don't have to double your tempo but the click will double.
That is great too. I can only remember playing with an eighth note click a few times (ballads) in 30 years... could have used it more. First clicks I experienced were the drummer playing a cowbell or clave in time with a "wind up" metronome while being recorded.
You can option/1 on the numeric keypad and get the time operations window.. and make the same changes, for the "non mousey" types.
Goes to show that If I don't use a feature once a month.. i forget it. I am an older model with less RAM, and what I have has been chemically compromised.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docric View Post
From the edit window, click on the + sign next to Tempo in the upper left hand section of the screen. That will display a pop-up Tempo window. Then click-and-hold on the qtr. note icon shown IN that pop-up window. It should now display the various options for note resolution (1/8 note being one of them) of the click.

HTH...
I've tried this but kept having problems! maybe i didn't set it right somehow?? do you use this method ok? cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElfBoy View Post
Click where? i click on the meter on the left ruler bar on the ruler bar and meter on the transport and no cigar!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Click where? i click on the meter on the left ruler bar on the ruler bar and meter on the transport and no cigar!!
Have the meter ruler visible, double-click the first meter in the session (usually 4/4), and choose click resolution.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
I've tried this but kept having problems! maybe i didn't set it right somehow?? do you use this method ok?
Hey Chris,

I'm not in front of my rig, but Elf may be right... it may be the + sign next to the "meter" tab, not the tempo tab. I always get these 2 confused... altering the resolution in one will HALF the click (if original is qtr notes, it'll play back half notes) and the other will double it....

I'll be in the studio in a half-hour or so and I'll check it and get back to ya'....

..but, to answer your Q, "yes", this is BY FAR the simplest way to play an 8th note click (or 16th or whatever ya want) without changing the session info.

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad