Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 PM

Default Pro Tools won't open a session

I'm using an Mbox 2 w/ Pro Tools LE 8 on a MacBook Pro. Been using it a lot lately, and suddenly, without warning, it freezes every time I try and open a session. It creates a new session fine, but as soon as I try to open a session, it says, "Loading Acoustic Guitar, Loading Plug-in ..., Loading whatever whatever..." and then it just freezes with the blue bar about 2/3 full, and the little spinning cursor comes up and stays there forever. This is highly infuriating. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools won't open a session

By the way, for each different session, it freezes in a different spot...but the same session always freezes in the same spot. Not sure if that has any bearing.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 AM

You need to give your whole spec is you want help. I don't know why people continually fail to do this. Mbox what - FW or USB? PT 8.XX? OSX? Ram? CPU? Drives/ ETC.

Saying that, the first thing that you can do to assess the situation is to drag all of your RTAS plugins from the 'USED' folder to the 'UNUSED' Folder. Then boot PT.

If PT boots ok then you'll know immediately that you have a plugin problem.

If PT still doesn't boot then you'll know the problem lies elsewhere and you can drag them all back in to the used folder.

If it's a plugin problem, then check your plugin versions. I believe that the 'Tech Support Utility v2.command OSX' can generate a version list by choosing option 3. But I'd start by checking your GTR plugin versions as this is where PT is crashing. What is the RTAS engine buffer size set to? If you're at 64 samples and PT is loading up CPU power hungry GTR plugins, maybe it's choking. Set buffer to highest level and try and load PT for example....

Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 AM

It might also be worth trying to "Import Session Data". Open a new session, then import all of the tracks from an earlier session that's not currently loading for you.

It may be a way to see what's causing the freeze... or at least a way to continue working on your project.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 AM

GregV, I tried your method, and received the following message:

The original disk allocation for this session cannot be used. Check the disk allocation window to see what's changed.

Needless to say, it didn't work. It tried to import the regions, but they were all chopped up and produced no input or output.

JazzyJ, I'm pretty computer ignorant in certain areas. I'm using an Mbox2 USB, Pro Tools LE 8.0.3, and whatever the latest version of the MacOS is. I'm not sure about the other stuff. How would I check that?

I don't seem to have a USED or UNUSED folder for plugins. I tried moving the folder that my plugins are in (Plugin Settings) out of the folder that has the session I'm trying to open. It didn't help at all.

Thanks so much for bearing with me, folks. All I wanna do is record, and I feel like the fix is simple and something I'm just missing it for some reason.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'm using an Mbox2 USB, Pro Tools LE 8.0.3, and whatever the latest version of the MacOS
Quote:
July 20, 2011
Apple has released OS X Lion (Mac OS X 10.7). As of this writing Pro Tools 9 and all earlier versions of Pro Tools software are not compatible and will not work with OS X Lion. We are currently working with Apple in order to provide a compatible release of Pro Tools and will notify you as soon as this work has completed.
GO to the apple in the top left corner of the screen. Click. Click 'About this Mac'. Underneath Mac OSX it will tell you the version.
If you have 10.6.X then you're on the right track.
If you have 10.7.X then PT8 is not supported and if you want Avid support, you'll need to either change your OSX to 10.6 or to buy Pro Tools 10.

Ok, unused and used plugin folders:

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug ins

If there's no 'unused folder', then just make one (Cmd+Shift+N)and then drag all of the RTAS plugins into that. When PT boots it will not load any RTAS plugins. If your troublesome session loads (with no RTAS) then you have identified the problem.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
GO to the apple in the top left corner of the screen. Click. Click 'About this Mac'. Underneath Mac OSX it will tell you the version.
If you have 10.6.X then you're on the right track.
If you have 10.7.X then PT8 is not supported and if you want Avid support, you'll need to either change your OSX to 10.6 or to buy Pro Tools 10.

Ok, unused and used plugin folders:

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug ins

If there's no 'unused folder', then just make one (Cmd+Shift+N)and then drag all of the RTAS plugins into that. When PT boots it will not load any RTAS plugins. If your troublesome session loads (with no RTAS) then you have identified the problem.

I have a Mac OS X version 10.6.8. 2.4 GHz Processor. 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory.

I moved all of my plugins to the Unused folder, and the session still wouldn't load. Any advice? Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Are you using the computer's internal hard-drive for PT? Do you have an external?
I wonder if your HD is too slow. (Macbook Pros typically come with 5400RPM HDs) If you're trying to run PT, with a bunch of audio, AND a bunch of plug-ins...
I don't want to say "this is your problem" and have you spend money on a new HD, but an external HD (7200 RPM) is recommended.
Do you have access to an external?
Try copying the Session folder to an external drive and try opening from there.
Good luck! I hope it helps...
Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 PM

i just tried what you said, GregV, and it won't let me open the session from my external hard drive. something about my hard drive not being an "audio volume". i can't believe this is happening. makes me very upset with the pro tools software.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 AM

OK... Is the HD formatted for Mac OS Extended Journaled? If it is, then go into "Workspace" in PT and you should see the HD listed there. Make sure it is selected as "R"... as in record.
If it's not, you may have to format it. I hope it's not full of stuff...

Make sure that the HD is visible on your desktop before launching PT too.

I know it's frustrating, but hang in there! These problems happen to everyone eventually