Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 AM

Default People seems to be happy old pcie cards will useless

somebody can explain why? are they all happy to sell for few bucks the old one and make a big investment on a new sistem and do a free test for Avid (and apple if the new sistem will run on thunderbolt port) in 4 days we will see our expansive sistem drop down in value about 80% and (can't believe myself) some people encourage Avid marketing: WHAT YOU BUY TODAY NEXT YEAR IS 70/80% OFF THE PRICE... ok version 10 will probably run in 64 bits to take advantage on the RAm, but why after 4 years of 64bit applications running an apple computers AVID ask for probably 10000 to have a 64bits application?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 AM

Default Re: People seems to be happy old pcie cards will useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfi64 View Post
somebody can explain why? are they all happy to sell for few bucks the old one and make a big investment on a new sistem and do a free test for Avid (and apple if the new sistem will run on thunderbolt port) in 4 days we will see our expansive sistem drop down in value about 80% and (can't believe myself) some people encourage Avid marketing: WHAT YOU BUY TODAY NEXT YEAR IS 70/80% OFF THE PRICE... ok version 10 will probably run in 64 bits to take advantage on the RAm, but why after 4 years of 64bit applications running an apple computers AVID ask for probably 10000 to have a 64bits application?
You're thinking about it all wrong... someone else can pay full price for it, and in a couple years you can pick it up used for 70/80% off the price.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 AM

And Avid will most likely have a trade-in offer, possibly making it somewhat more affordable to upgrade to the new one.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 AM

I'm pleased at the idea that I might be able to ditch my expansion chassis and lower the operating temperature and noise in the studio. Even with a AcoustiLok tower, it's still fairly noisy.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfi64 View Post
Why are speculating on something you clearly know nothing about.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:31 PM

What's wrong with progress? Current TDM cards are like stone tablets with hyroglyphics compared to modern computing technology. They are far overdue for a replacement.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
What's wrong with progress? Current TDM cards are like stone tablets with hyroglyphics compared to modern computing technology. They are far overdue for a replacement.
While this may be true. . . . . . my HD3 system gives me all I need. I know one size does not fit all but I for one will not be running out to purchase any new cards or hardware any time soon. I am actually still quite happy with the performance of what I have.
Joe
Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack2life View Post
While this may be true. . . . . . my HD3 system gives me all I need. I know one size does not fit all but I for one will not be running out to purchase any new cards or hardware any time soon. I am actually still quite happy with the performance of what I have.
Joe
And nothing is stopping you from being happy.

Just as there are many people still running mix era gear on G4s, you can be happy with what you have for as long as you want to. Doesn't mean progress has to stop, either.

If you don't want to buy what's new, then there's no reason to.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515