Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Problem with sound output in Midi Instrument

I posted this in the wrong forum, so trying here. I've set up an instrument trackbut cannot get the input to "all", just a series of single channel inputs. It is however actually recording midi notes, I just can't hear them. I'm wondering what I should have as input and output in my Audio Devices i Midi Studio set up. Also not sure what machine control should be set up in Peripherals. This is the first time I've tried to use Instrument track. but even with my old way of midi track, aux track I can't get any sound output. Been away from protools for awhile so maybe missing somehting obvious.
thanks
b.
I'm using a PT LE 8.04
Mac 10.6.5
Mbox2 mini
Kontact 2
Evolution MK 249C
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Problem with sound output in Midi Instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by budinski View Post
I posted this in the wrong forum, so trying here. I've set up an instrument trackbut cannot get the input to "all", just a series of single channel inputs. It is however actually recording midi notes, I just can't hear them. I'm wondering what I should have as input and output in my Audio Devices i Midi Studio set up. Also not sure what machine control should be set up in Peripherals. This is the first time I've tried to use Instrument track. but even with my old way of midi track, aux track I can't get any sound output. Been away from protools for awhile so maybe missing somehting obvious.
thanks
b.
I'm using a PT LE 8.04
Mac 10.6.5
Mbox2 mini
Kontact 2
Evolution MK 249C
You are off track with Machine control and MIDI studio.

If the Inst track is receiving and recording MIDI then the MIDI section of the Inst track is probably working correctly.

What I can't be sure of from your question is if you have any plugins inserted to actually make sound out of the MIDI data that you are recording? MIDI does not make any sound on its own.. It needs to go to a synth to actually make the audio. If you send the MIDI to an external, hardware synth then you can set the inputs to what ever audio pair you have the synth plugged into.

If you use a plugin VI, then the audio inputs don't matter as the plugin will create the audio right in line on the track...

To view the MIDI routing (which is what it sounds like you were trying to do initially) you need to enable that view:

View> Mix Window views... then make sure "Instruments" is checked. You would need to see this in order to set the MIDI outputs for an external synth... VIs automatically route to the inserted plugin (in most cases)

I am concerned, though, because you say you can't get this to work with aux tracks and midi tracks as that is all an inst track really is: a combination of both. I suspect you are missing something fundamental..
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 PM

Hi Flommer
<You are off track with Machine control and MIDI studio.>

But can you tell me what they should be set to? I've messed around with them so much I've lost track... so to speak!

I think the problem may be Kontact, which I've tried as both stand alone and RTAS plug in. I can see that there is no output from it but can't work out what i've done wrong in the configuration -- whether the problem is Kontact or PT?

What sort of fundamental thing might I be missing?
thanks
b.

<If the Inst track is receiving and recording MIDI then the MIDI section of the Inst track is probably working correctly.>

<What I can't be sure of from your question is if you have any plugins inserted to actually make sound out of the MIDI data that you are recording? MIDI does not make any sound on its own.. It needs to go to a synth to actually make the audio. If you send the MIDI to an external, hardware synth then you can set the inputs to what ever audio pair you have the synth plugged into. >

If you use a plugin VI, then the audio inputs don't matter as the plugin will create the audio right in line on the track...

To view the MIDI routing (which is what it sounds like you were trying to do initially) you need to enable that view:

View> Mix Window views... then make sure "Instruments" is checked. You would need to see this in order to set the MIDI outputs for an external synth... VIs automatically route to the inserted plugin (in most cases)

I am concerned, though, because you say you can't get this to work with aux tracks and midi tracks as that is all an inst track really is: a combination of both. I suspect you are missing something fundamental.. Today 12:28 AM
Old 12-31-2010, 01:13 AM

So what exactly are you trying to trigger with this inst track? Kontakt?

If you think that is the problem then just see if you can get everything working using a different plugin, like xpand

I don't know much about Kontakt but according to this page Kontakt 2 does not seem to be compatible with 8.0.4

You're not really explaining what you have tried to do so far in any detail..
Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 PM

I'm not sure how, but it's all working now. It's been one of those very long journeys where you just keep trying something different and finally it works but you can't remember all the things you've changed to work out which one was crucial -- I;ve got to be more systematic in future -- testing afteer every little change! Anyway, I went back to Internal Mac sound in the Audio setup... lots of trashing preferences and restarts. Let's just hope it keeps working. And, thanks for your help -- your mentioning Kontact 2 pricked my memory that I had a later version that I hadn't put in my dock -- long story... (btw Kontact 3.5 does work with PT, both as standalone and RTAS)
b.