Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Default Re: questionable quality of Euphonix Artist Series?

Except for the fader caps flying off (which happens every week or so of use) there are no obvious build quality issues with my MC Control v2 or MC Mix. They are made of metal and look good and feel solid. There seems to have been a compromise with knob size, but all my issues with the units have to do with the creaky EuController software and the EuCon implementation in PT 9. They do a lot, much of it very well, but there are some bugs and ease of use issues that they must fix soon, as well as a host of features I'd love to see implemented, such as Trim mode, Preview mode, etc. I'm just using them with PT9 so I can't comment on how they work with other software.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoundsabar View Post
Except for the fader caps flying off (which happens every week or so of use) there are no obvious build quality issues with my MC Control v2 or MC Mix. They are made of metal and look good and feel solid. There seems to have been a compromise with knob size, but all my issues with the units have to do with the creaky EuController software and the EuCon implementation in PT 9. They do a lot, much of it very well, but there are some bugs and ease of use issues that they must fix soon, as well as a host of features I'd love to see implemented, such as Trim mode, Preview mode, etc. I'm just using them with PT9 so I can't comment on how they work with other software.
They're plastic, actually, not metal. But my biggest complaint is the quality of the knobs, when slowly turned there is too much friction.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Yes, robertg you are correct, my bad. I just went over to check the material and it does indeed have a plastic shell. It's a nice plastic shell though! The frame must be made of metal, since the thing doesn't twist or bend easily and it is heavy enough to lift. The problem with the knobs for me is they are too small and they have a weird, uncontrollable velocity curve which i don't like at all for panning and not much for plug-in parameter twiddling.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 PM

My MC Mix has various small cracks in the case. I have sent in an email to Avid and have yet to receive a response. Bummed about the customer service.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Avid

Hi guys,

JC Haydon here, Product Manager for the Artist Series. I want to take a minute to let you know what is really going on with two specific issues that I've seen in forums. We are paying attention, making changes, and actively working to improve products and processes to provide you the best experience possible. I personally use all four Artist Series products to create with EUCON aware apps. I spend as much time as I can making music and video to stay current on creative workflow and new products.

A small, random sample of units from early builds of Artist Mix had an issue causing cracks in the front housing which was solved with a redesign. Likewise, Artist Control has been through design and component iterations to solve problems that were unfortunately experienced by a small number of the overall user base.

If you have cracks in your Artist Mix, or a touchscreen failure on an Artist Control V1, programs are in place to repair or replace them on a case by case basis. We will need proof of purchase and you will have to register your issue with Avid technical support, filing a case here:

http://euphonix.avid.com/artist/ux/e...t-support.html

It has also come to my attention that a backlog of support cases due to technical problems has been caught up on thanks to the efforts of our Customer Success team. Going forward, you can expect fast responses to support requests.

Best,
John Haydon
Principal Product Manager | Live Systems and Consoles

Avid
2001 Junipero Serra Boulevard
Daly City, CA 94014-3886
United States
[email protected]

We’re Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 04-09-2011, 04:55 AM

i have 2 mc mix, 1 mc control v2, and the transport. aside from the fader caps flying off on shutdown they work well

so on that note, can we glue these on or something? i have 2-3 that literally fly off when the faders slam down

thoughts on how to fix this?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
In any case, either you dealer can swap it out or, once you register, just start a support case and we'll have someone contact you for a replacement.
YOU CAN'T REGISTER! It's what I've been trying to tell you. It's broken. Can you at least reply back and let me know what to do? [email protected] no one's been home there for 3 weeks. You can't have 1 employee man that email address???

see here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=298469

see this thread, looks like they've been ignoring customers for months:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290417

Last edited by kokobeware; 04-09-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: cause
Old 04-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
i have 2 mc mix, 1 mc control v2, and the transport. aside from the fader caps flying off on shutdown they work well

so on that note, can we glue these on or something? i have 2-3 that literally fly off when the faders slam down

thoughts on how to fix this?
I wouldn't glue it. In case you ever needed to open the unit up such as to clean the faders or something. Maybe break off a piece of a toothpick or posterboard and jam it into the plastic slot so the metal fader has more to grab onto. It just sounds like some of them were manufactured too wide.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
I wouldn't glue it. In case you ever needed to open the unit up such as to clean the faders or something. Maybe break off a piece of a toothpick or posterboard and jam it into the plastic slot so the metal fader has more to grab onto. It just sounds like some of them were manufactured too wide.
If you do decide to glue these a miniscule dab of something like Elmers white glue should be all you need. All your really doing here is taking up the slack and keeping the cap from rocking loose.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 PM

First of all - the new set up knobs on my latest MC Mix seems different in that aspect and I would very much like another set of these (I assume) quite inexpensive knobs to correct the problem with my first to units...

Secondly - to make it easy to replace the "flying knobs" (and "yes!", they flew) I just took a small amount of cottonwool and as far as I can tell it hasn't reduced the funtionality that much...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix