Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Avid ditched Scott Henderson! Why?

Wow!

Avid is selling the sh*t out of Eleven Rack simply because it's an excellent product and not because the "hot pick de jour" has his picture on the cover of "Guitar Player" magazine holding one.

While I'm sure Avid is quite happy to take anyone's money, I don't really thinki their target market for the Eleven Rack is the 12-year olds who would be impressed by a magazine cover.

I don't own an Eleven Rack (since as a guitarist I'm a damn good drummer) but I wouldn't mind adding one to my studio someday, so I've researched it pretty thoroughly.

This ain't a $30 stomp box we're talking about here...it's a piece of professional-grade equipment designed for serious players to use on the road and in the studio, and from what I've read, quite a few of them are.

Frankly, I had never heard of Scott Henderson prior to reading this thread. I did check out his website and while it appears he is a very talented musician he is hardly a household name. As far as "sell value" goes, Avid would probably do better with one of the 30 or 40 people who play guitar in Arcade Fire.

So, with all due respect for Mr. Henderson, why don't we just let this thread die of natural causes? Perhaps someone could start a thread on http://protools.ideascale.com/ asking that Avid include some of Mr. Henderson's tones in the next Expansion Pack. Please, no ballot box stuffing, but if enough people are interested in having Scott Henderson's tones added to the Eleven Rack I'm sure Chimp or Chris will give it due consideration...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-24-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
The take away I'm getting from this thread is a curiosity to compare a vintage Unidyne SM57 with a modern SM57.
+1 Exactly!

I never used the SM57 in the 11r because of the earlier mentioned reasons. IRL I use it often. However I can get along with a lot of other mics sims in the 11R.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
+1 Exactly!

I never used the SM57 in the 11r because of the earlier mentioned reasons. IRL I use it often. However I can get along with a lot of other mics sims in the 11R.
I'm more concerned with how the mic sounds as a input filter than whether it fits any preconceived notion of how it should sound. If I don't like it I just switch to a different mic.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I'm more concerned with how the mic sounds as a input filter than whether it fits any preconceived notion of how it should sound. If I don't like it I just switch to a different mic.
I Agree. Good post
Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 AM

I've found the '57 a bit harsh, but the 409 sounds fine. For me, it's like Sunburst said: I don't choose the mic by name, I choose them by sound.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Basically we are saying the same thing.
But I often get the impression in this forum you can't discuss about flaws of the product other than; "put it in the ideascale" kind of thing.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Basically we are saying the same thing.
But I often get the impression in this forum you can't discuss about flaws of the product other than; "put it in the ideascale" kind of thing.
Ideascale seems to be the the quickest way to bring stuff to Avids attention. At least from the perspective of ranking the desirability of adding new features and enhancements. They do look at it and as annoying as the "Put it on Ideascale" catchphrase is the truth is thats its the fastest way to get things done. Also once its there they pretty much have to look at it. If you look at previous Ideascale comments its very obvious that the 11R team took as many of them into account as possible with the Expansion pack. Not sure what you mean about flaws? Actual flaws are discussed all the time. Short of discussing cracked software you can discuss just about anything you want on the DUC and its forums.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

i guess if by "flaws", one would mean, "features not (yet) in the unit" then yeah, i could see that. But is that really considered a flaw? that's like saying an iPad is "flawed" cause it doesn't have a cup holder.

Though I will admit, a lot of us (including myself) can get a little defensive about the 11R or PT.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 AM

I consider it a flaw. I often record a G12-65 cab with a sm57. Very recognisable! Once you try to do that in the 11R it doesn't fit reality. I consider that a flaw.
Cris came in and said: "this is a sm57 unidyne used by the VH recordings."
This is a very legit reason and wasn't known by me until he said so and explains why I don't like it.
Please don't take it wrong; I love the 11r and can get along with many of it's possibilties. Heck I recorded a complete album with it and posted/demonstrate here several of the new amp models as a soundfile.

What I like about the 11R is that the listed amps sound and react like the real ones from a point of user experience.
The flaw is this that several functions don't react as the real ones. (like the sm57 mic due to the unidyne specs). How do I communicate this without stepping on the toes of the developers or getting bitchy reactions from disciple users?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
How do I communicate this without stepping on the toes of the developers or getting bitchy reactions from disciple users?
I think the answer is to simply post a request on Ideascale asking for a modern SM57 model in addition to the Unidyne. I don't see anyone feeling insulted by that. I could see most users if not all of them voting for it. If nothing else it gets us a mainstream SM57 and add's cred to the unidyne as the EVH mic.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page