Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack & Pro Tools 11 - Supported?

Very interesting..... If I open a session in PT11 that was created in PT10 FIRST, then I can use Load From Computer in that session. If I close it, and create a new session, it ceases to work.

If I start by launching a new session in PT11, then Load From Computer does NOT work, even if I close that session and open a session created in PT10.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Ok, so this finding is confirmed on my system (Windows 8 Pro)

The only time Load From Computer works is when after launching Pro Tools 11 you have to load a session that was last saved in Pro Tools 10. Once you close this session, you can no longer use Load From Computer in Pro Tools 11. The only way for it to function again is to close Pro Tools 11, then re-launch and load a session last saved in Pro Tools 10.

After you close that session or create a new session, once again Load From Computer ceases to work.

Just got 11 installed on Windows 7, so I'll test there as well.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 PM

I have just confirmed the same behavior on Windows 7 SP1 64 bit with a fresh install of PT11.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 PM

Thanks for being a pioneer and taking all the arrows before the rest of us
Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Thanks for being a pioneer and taking all the arrows before the rest of us
No problem. With your programming knowledge would you have any idea what is causing this?

I have just confirmed that you don't even need PT10.3.6 installed. All you need is a session that was saved on PT10. Just tested this on PT11 on Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.

ONLY PT11 is installed. This is the FIRST time any Avid product has been on this PC. Launch PT11, start a new session, choose Load From Computer...... nothing, just like on Win8.

Close PT11. Re-launch PT11, this time I put a session from PT10 on a flash drive, and opened that in PT11. Choose Load From Computer - it works. close that session and create a NEW session in PT11, choose Load From Computer.... nothing happens OR nothing happens then PT11 Crash Reporter comes up OR you get a R6025.

Again PT10 is NOT even installed on this PC, only PT11.

Oh, one more thing, on this Win 7 test PC with PT11 and driver 1.1.6, I needed to DISABLE the Eleven Rack in the sound playback and recording options in the tray (speaker icon, right click) or I would keep getting errors when trying to start up Pro Tools 11 saying something like "This session does not support *48k sample rate"

Once they were disabled for Windows to use them as the system sound source, it worked fine.

*48k is an example, it said the same thing with 44.1.

This did not happen on Windows 8.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 PM

Sorry I cannot guess what is causing this. It's internal stuff inside Pro Tools/the session file so a bit hard for a non-Avid developer to dig around in. If it was a communication issue with the Eleven Rack, that is easy to look at with a USB/midi sniffer. If I had it in front of me there might be some trivial tests to try to compare session files but with all your work this is stuff that the right Avid developer could reproduce and understand very quickly.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-29-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:13 AM

Well, for anyone having this problem, it looks like a work-around for now would be something like this:

You are working on a session in PT11, you want to be able to load rigs on to the 11R.

So you would save your session and close in PT11.

Open Pro Tools 10.3.6 - load the session you just saved in PT11.

Then Save and Close the session in PT10.3.6

Re-launch PT11 and choose the session you just saved in PT10

When it loads, you can now load rigs from computer.

You could of course do all of this by just using PT10.3.6, but if you want to use PT11, that's how it is working for me.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 AM

One last observation and I think I'm done trying this and hopefully Avid will check it out.

It seems that once the file has been saved in PT10.3.6, you don't need to re-save it in PT10 unless you open another session or turn off your computer.

Meaning, you launch a session in PT11, you decide you need to load rigs from computer. So you save and close PT11. Open the Session in PT10 then save and close.

Re-open PT11 and load the session you just saved in PT10, now you can load rigs from computer.

After a few hours of working, you save and close PT11. After your break you come back and launch PT11 and choose the session you were working on - load rigs from computer should still work.

Then you close that session in PT11 and open a blank session and work on another project, Load Rigs From Computer does not work in this session.

Now you want to go back to your other project, so you save and close that session and open the other session where Load from Computer was working.

Now Load From Computer does not work. When you click it either nothing happens, you get a freeze and crash report comes up, or you get a pure virtual function call error.

So you restart your PC and load the session that you previously saved in PT10 and subsequently in PT11 before you restarted. Now Load From Computer does not work and you need to open, save and close the session in PT10 before Load From Computer works again.

I hope that's all clear as mud. That's how it seems to be working for me.

If anyone else wants to try it and report back, that would be great. I think I'm done chasing this bug, I don't think there's anything else I can do, it's up to Avid now and I need to get back to actually creating stuff.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-29-2013, 01:36 AM

I know I said my last post was the LAST observation, but here is one more.

Just to try something else, I opened a session in PT11, Load Rigs from Computer did not work. So I opened and saved in PT10. Re-opened in PT11 and Load Rigs From Computer worked - ok so we already knew that, here's the new info.

I then loaded a rig from computer then saved and closed the session (the session not PT11) I opened another recent session that has only seen PT11 then immediately closed it, I did not change anything on it so I did not even get a "Do you want to Save" dialog.

Then I went right back to the session where just 20 seconds earlier Load From Computer was working, and as we know from other posts, its not going to work now because we opened another session - BUT this time I received a different error - "No RTTI data!"

no RTTI data - LRfC.jpg

It's interesting how by doing or not doing certain things in another session dictates what kind of error you get.

Hope that's helpful, I gotta tap out of this for now.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 AM

I don't own/use an 11R, so if I'm misunderstanding something please let me know and excuse me...

Benoni...maybe I missed it, but did you try starting PT 11 without loading an existing session, then creating a new session?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh