Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Default AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

We will buy 6 HDX Systems + the new interfaces… the moment Waves and SoundToys light “Green Light” as to the development of HDX DSP…
And there are many others who I’m sure will do the same… this is a major loose-loose scenario for AVID and DSP PI developers.

AVID is bleeding... and they must and should engage in an "active communication" with these major PI developers to make this happen...
Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Re: AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
We will buy 6 HDX Systems + the new interfaces… the moment Waves and SoundToys light “Green Light” as to the development of HDX DSP…
And there are many others who I’m sure will do the same… this is a major loose-loose scenario for AVID and DSP PI developers.

AVID is bleeding... and they must and should engage in an "active communication" with these major PI developers to make this happen...
Word!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post

So Avid will go to Waves and say - Hey Guys, we're in financial trouble and suffering an identity crisis. We need you to make AAX DSP versions of your plugs.-

I think Waves is hanging on the side lines waiting to see if the Avid audio divisions gets sold off.

Just my 2 cents.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm just glad we have a workable version of PT right now.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
waiting to see if the Avid audio divisions gets sold off.

Just my 2 cents.
Ain't going to happen. Avid Audio division is the only division of Avid that is actually making money. That's why they merged the audio and the video divisions together so that the books would look better to the investors. The video side of Avid has always been loosing money, if they sell the only real source of income for the company, the company will eventually fold. So we will not see that happen.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 sp1. intel i5 2500k 3.30 ghz. asus p8p67 evo rev 3. 16g kingston ddr3 1600. Asus engtx 560dc2 oc. Seagate Barracuda 7200 9 SATA 80-GB Hard Drive. 2x WD caviar black 7200 500 GB. 1x WD caviar black 7200 1 TB. Seagate Freeagent 7200 1 TB usb 2.0. SIIG NN-440012-S8.

PT 10. SIB 7. ProjectMix I/O. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Focusrite Saffire pro 40. Genelec 8040. Axiom pro 61. Alesis Dm8 pro. Spector ns2000/5. Old vintage Vantage electric guitar. Bunch of VI's and plugins
Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM

I think what we really need are more new threads bitching at Avid for Waves' lack of motivation.

If you're unhappy about Waves not making AAX plugs... CALL WAVES. There's nothing Avid can do if they decide not to make DSP plugs. It's not their company, it's not their call to make.

If Waves thinks they can survive without the Avid DSP market, then it's their decision. If you disagree with it... complaining here is about as useful as putting a bullet in your own foot.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Since AAX-DSP is a proprietary format tied to Avid's hardware and a limited market it would help a lot if Avid could provide some revenue incentives or software support for getting the porting done.
With Avid reporting weak financials and having apparently outsourced a lot of the software work I wouldn't expect much soon.

Whatever dominance Avid has in the audio marekt is outweighed by the uncertainty of where Avid is going.
Nobody wants to follow the leader down a rabbit hole.

What we really need is more inadvertant advice on what is worth discussing.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightworker View Post
Ain't going to happen. Avid Audio division is the only division of Avid that is actually making money. That's why they merged the audio and the video divisions together so that the books would look better to the investors. The video side of Avid has always been loosing money, if they sell the only real source of income for the company, the company will eventually fold. So we will not see that happen.
Actually, I think their video division brings in slightly more income according to their annual report.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
I'm just glad we have a workable version of PT right now.
Some rational thought. I like that.

My Waves Mercury bundle works just fine in PT 10.

I think PT 11 is some time after the fiscal cliff. Lets get through that one first.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Post View Post
I think PT 11 is some time after the fiscal cliff. Lets get through that one first.
What you think does not matter. I've heard PT11 is right around the corner. That said, I myself think that it might/should take some time to get it released. For me, there is close to zero worth in PT11 and all the 64-bit goodness, if there are no Waves DSP plugins available. I know Avid/Waves knows the situation and that's why I tend to share your opinion. But the reports I've heard scare me.