Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-19-2016, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Recorded Audio Has Higher Pitch and Faster (NOT A SAMPLE RATE PROBLEM!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Did you unintentionally pressed Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar to start recording (versus correctly Ctrl+Spacebar or 3 on the Num Pad) ?
If so, that would be a half-speed recording which results in a pitch-up of 1 octave upon playback.

Maybe a stuck Shift-key. Select a clip and press "M" : does it nudge the clip or does it mute the track ?
Oh brilliant! I suspect you got it. Who ever uses that, completely forgot about it.

Ben even if the keyboard appears OK I suspect this is still the root cause and check back for more suggestions of what to test.

And the other thing that probably delayed things here a bit was the description of being shifted up roughly a few steps. That sounds close to the difference between 48 and 44.1 kHz, but here it is shifted a whole octave. (When I compressed the reaper recording time axis 2X the pitch matches). Yes you said the time was halved but that conflicts with the pitch amount you said and I was assuming you were being less accurate on that than the pitch change. The best thing here was seeing the files and seeing they have an exact octave shift, so thanks for posting them.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Recorded Audio Has Higher Pitch and Faster (NOT A SAMPLE RATE PROBLEM!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Did you unintentionally pressed Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar to start recording (versus correctly Ctrl+Spacebar or 3 on the Num Pad) ?
If so, that would be a half-speed recording which results in a pitch-up of 1 octave upon playback.

Maybe a stuck Shift-key. Select a clip and press "M" : does it nudge the clip or does it mute the track ?
...Yeah. I think I did. I'll try at home again soon and report back...
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM

same here ... forgot about that .. i have done it only once by accident ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 PM

Holy freaking crap that was retarded.... So yeah. I just spent two weeks googling trying to figure out this problem that was literally just using the shift key. It's a feature not a bug... Wow. If this was Reddit, you'd get gold, Joachim.

So yeah. I just plugged in my phone and clicked record on transport and it plays fine. Hit control+shift+space and it does the thing. Hit control+space and it plays fine. I miss my zoom presets now though... I guess I have to assemble my preferences back now.

Thanks for all the help guys. That was stupid. Lol. I guess I was right and it wasn't sample rate though.

Because I hate people who just go "fixed", for anyone who finds this on Google the problem and fix was this: Holding Control+shift+space which accidentally used half-speed record instead of normal speed record, which is control+space (or F12 or num 3.) If you have this problem and it's not sample rate, just click the record button before doing anything else and make sure it's not that.

If possible could a mod edit the thread title to say "Fixed" or "solved"?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:04 AM

Glad, we tracked it down to "finger trouble" .
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMeyers View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. That was stupid. Lol. I guess I was right and it wasn't sample rate though.
Yes you were absolutely correct Ben. And definitely a lesson for me. I would probably not have gotten this one even if you had said it was exactly half speed in your first post. I just never use that feature. Super that joachim nailed it.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:21 PM

Yeah. Most people just overlook the simple, stupid things like that because stuff like this just seems like a much more complicated issue. But of course, it's not until you go through all the other stuff that somebody would think it could be the simpler stuff. The woes of troubleshooting.... Error between keyboard and chair.