Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-05-2015, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Which Computer works best with PT11 HD Native?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
Wow thanks for all the great replies, I'm really taking each of them to heart as this is a huge decision. So now I'm leaning toward either of the two PC's because I'm realizing how important tech support is in case I have issues. Such I tough decision, I'll probably be leaning iMac again tomorrow. Giving myself 2 weeks to do more research before making the choice.
Please keep chiming in if you have any more info, I'm very grateful for any input.
Thanks!
Rich
Good on you for taking time to think it thru Re the iMac, assuming an i7 and NOT getting the Fusion drive, I have nothing bad to say about them. However, adding a recording drive, or including a 3rd drive for sample libraries gets kind of messy as you are stuck with external options(and how many ports are available). The average PC has space inside the case and SATA ports on the motherboard, to allow for 3 drives easily, and maybe 6 or more if you have need for tons of drive space. My setup runs 4 internal hard drives plus a DVD burner. I have several external drives as well, but these are not used for audio. They are only used for backups, transporting sessions, saving drive images, and I keep a 500GB drive for all my downloads and updates(keeping my SSD system drive as lean as I can). Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-05-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzler View Post
Have "the store" assemble it? What store? You mean Pro Tools PC or PC Audio Labs, etc. when you say "the store?"

I would build my own and save $$$ in a heart beat if not for these folks have experience configuring everything and standing behind it. If I build, I need to walk that learning curve on my own and have no one to call if I get stuck. Also, if a part fails, as I assume they can, I have to deal with individual manufacturers' warranties as opposed to a firm.
In the first paragraph I'm talking about building your own computer, hence referring to the store(s) where you buy computer parts.

In the second paragraph, I talk about the 3 suggestions that rcd came up with.

Was it really that unclear?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My biggest gripe with Mac(other than the high price of entry):
I totally agree with what albee said here. Another big factor in purchasing a computer would be the price point. How much you're willing to spend is a balancing act. You want to get the most for your money. When I say most, as in feature, benefit, performance and upgradability.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:49 PM

I don't have the ability to even attempt to build my audio computer, so it's worth it for me to spend the extra money. Now I'm trying to learn the difference between drive types (SATA2 vs SSD). What features are superior on SSD that makes them cost so much more? Is it worth the extra money to have SSD drives for both Primary and Audio?

Also, people on different forums say different things about Windows 7 vs 8 concerning PT 11HD Native. One poster said you have to be running Windows Professional to receive the benefit of 64 bit recording in PT11, Windows Home still keeps PT11 working as 32 bits. Some say Windows 7 works best, others say Windows 8. I still have yet to research this to the point where I know any facts. Please let me know if you have had better experiences with one or another.

Thanks again, have a great one!
Rich
Old 01-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I don't have the ability to even attempt to build my audio computer, so it's worth it for me to spend the extra money. Now I'm trying to learn the difference between drive types (SATA2 vs SSD). What features are superior on SSD that makes them cost so much more? Is it worth the extra money to have SSD drives for both Primary and Audio?

Also, people on different forums say different things about Windows 7 vs 8 concerning PT 11HD Native. One poster said you have to be running Windows Professional to receive the benefit of 64 bit recording in PT11, Windows Home still keeps PT11 working as 32 bits. Some say Windows 7 works best, others say Windows 8. I still have yet to research this to the point where I know any facts. Please let me know if you have had better experiences with one or another.

Thanks again, have a great one!
Rich
They are correct! Windows Home is a no no! Windows 7 Pro is the most proven. Windows 8.1 works as well but there is some getting used to the changes made vs 7. I personally think the up and coming Windows 10 is going to be the best OS for Microsoft when all the dust settles. It's merging the best of both Windows 7 and 8. As for Hard-drives you definitely want an SSD for the OS (system drive) at least 256GB and up. The SSD is also a major plus as a sample drive for instruments. Some even use them for audio drives, but I would invest my money into more ram seeing Pro Tools 11 can load all wave files into ram and get a good 7200rpm spindle drive for audio.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Wow thanks for all the great replies, I'm really taking each of them to heart as this is a huge decision. So now I'm leaning toward either of the two PC's because I'm realizing how important tech support is in case I have issues. Such I tough decision, I'll probably be leaning iMac again tomorrow. Giving myself 2 weeks to do more research before making the choice.
Please keep chiming in if you have any more info, I'm very grateful for any input.
Thanks!
Rich
While many of the customer audio pc builders are great, I've been impressed with PC Audio Labs the most.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Intel Haswell-E Processors 3.3GHz Core i7-5820K 6-Core; Memory - DDR4: 16GB DDR4-2400 Quad Channel (4 x 4GB); Primary Drive (OS): 240GB SSD SATA3; Secondary Drive (Audio): 2TB 7200 rpm SATA2; Graphic Card: 1GB (HD5450) Dual Display Graphics Card; Optical Drive: 22x CD/DVD Dual Layer Burner; Windows 10 64-bit; PT 12.5; Studio One Pro 3.2; Cubase Pro 8.5; REAPER; MixBus 3
Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
In the first paragraph I'm talking about building your own computer, hence referring to the store(s) where you buy computer parts.

In the second paragraph, I talk about the 3 suggestions that rcd came up with.

Was it really that unclear?
Not any more. Thank you. I'm going to have one built, set up, tested and with ongoing support.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Intel Haswell-E Processors 3.3GHz Core i7-5820K 6-Core; Memory - DDR4: 16GB DDR4-2400 Quad Channel (4 x 4GB); Primary Drive (OS): 240GB SSD SATA3; Secondary Drive (Audio): 2TB 7200 rpm SATA2; Graphic Card: 1GB (HD5450) Dual Display Graphics Card; Optical Drive: 22x CD/DVD Dual Layer Burner; Windows 10 64-bit; PT 12.5; Studio One Pro 3.2; Cubase Pro 8.5; REAPER; MixBus 3
Old 01-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I started out with my HDN rig on windows 7 an 8 and I switched to a Mac Pro 2012 and now the Mac Pro 2013 bought in 2014. I have found that if you optimized your system (IMO) and experience Pro Tools ran the same on both with the exception of the Avid Core Audio Manager/Driver. The Plugins may very in performance a little with Windows VS Mac but all in all not much difference. I think if you do your home work like you are now doing you can't go wrong either way. For me it's now just a matter of preference. There are a lot of threads here that can help you with choosing a stable system. I must add I am very pleased with my HDN rig. One of the best decisions I've ever made.
Hello, we saw you are using Yosemite with PT11. Could you tell us how it is? Any problems? Especially with CPU overload and others. We are still on PT11.1.3 and OSX 10.9.3. Considering updating to Yosemite.

Are you also using new Mac pro ? How is it like with PT 11?

Appreciate if you can tell us your experience.

Thank you.

A.Y.L
Old 01-07-2015, 01:14 PM

As much as I love Macs, I've been on self built PCs for the past 9 years. (Without regret).

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-07-2015, 01:34 PM

As much as I love building PC's, I've been on Macs for the past 16 years for music. (Without regret).
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html