How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 AM

Default PT11 installer confusion

Hi,

currently installing 11 and missing some info that I could't find in the manual:

Manual says to simply double-clickt the 11 icon to install.

So far so good. There are additional folders called codec installers and driver installers. These are not even mentioned in the manual nor the readmes.

Do I need to install these as well?

There's a folder called "Driver Installers" containing "AVID DX Driver 5.7" and "AVID HD driver 11.0". What are they for?

Then there's another separate download called "HD_Driver_11_0_1". Manual says to first install the hardware drivers.

So which one is the one to install? The one in the PT11 installer dmg or the separate one?

This is pretty confusing and poorly documented I must say. Also nowhere they mention that you have to manually turn off sandboxing because AVID is still not a "verified developer". How is that?

There's also still no mention of the language scripts to start PT in english anywhere in the Installer manual. Why are such things not included under Extras or something? I guess after all these years AVID simply assumed every user reads the DUC daily and knows the answerbase by heart.

Is there a script to launch 11 in english on a german system? The answerbase only lists one for PT10 and it does just that. How do I launch 11 in english?

Where do I put the documentation folder so that 11 finds it from the help-menu? I copied it to the application folder but it doesn't work.

BTW: When I hit "check for updates" an error pops up and the "looking for update" window candybar tries endlessly.

Anyone know the answer to the above questions?

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Default Re: PT11 installer confusion

When I tried the PT11 demo on the iMac in my sig file it was just a drag and drop into the Applications folder. Didn't have to worry about where to put the documentation as that was all taken care of automatically. Also didn't have to install anything else, then again I don't have PT HD.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
When I tried the PT11 demo on the iMac in my sig file it was just a drag and drop into the Applications folder. Didn't have to worry about where to put the documentation as that was all taken care of automatically. Also didn't have to install anything else, then again I don't have PT HD.
Same here. Drag and dropped the download and just ran it from app folder. We have HD and the HD installers are only needed if you have an HDNative or HDX card as it updates the drivers for said card. You don't have to do aything else.

However, what does "turn off sandboxing" mean and where do I do this on a Mac? Best Regards Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Same here. Drag and dropped the download and just ran it from app folder. We have HD and the HD installers are only needed if you have an HDNative or HDX card as it updates the drivers for said card. You don't have to do aything else.

However, what does "turn off sandboxing" mean and where do I do this on a Mac? Best Regards Chris
Sandboxing is a security feature that Apple put into OSX back in Lion days. It cannot be turned off by an end user as it's done at the developer level. You can turn off Gatekeeper though. Here's an article on how to turn off Gatekeeper:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290

See this article for info about sandboxing:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...-mac-security/

Some people confuse Gatekeeper and sandboxing.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
This is pretty confusing and poorly documented I must say. Also nowhere they mention that you have to manually turn off sandboxing because AVID is still not a "verified developer". How is that?
Installation Guide, page 6 (emphasis mine):

On Windows, if the User Account Control dialog appears, click Allow. Several messages are displayed during installation that can be ignored, including multiple “Found New Hardware”dialogs and “A Problem Occurred During Hardware Installation.” If you get a warning dialog about the driver not passing Windows Logo testing, click Continue Anyway.

As for the language settings, sorry I am at a loss aside from going to Setup-> Prefferences-> Display section.

For the documentation, it should work in the default location (My Documents\Pro Tools\Documentation) but the online help in Pro Tools is a bit wonky. When you open one of the help docs from within Pro Tools, you must click the little button on the top right of the help window to "Launch this page with an external web browser".

The HD driver is for HD hardware, I believe. DX drivers are to allow PT to use DirectX hardware, might have to do with DX audio settings in windows and the ability to access DirectX rendering (for using a video card for hardware acceleration for video).
Old 09-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Sandboxing is a security feature that Apple put into OSX back in Lion days. It cannot be turned off by an end user as it's done at the developer level. You can turn off Gatekeeper though. Here's an article on how to turn off Gatekeeper:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290

See this article for info about sandboxing:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...-mac-security/

Some people confuse Gatekeeper and sandboxing.
Big Thank You Jack! You are the Bom ..B Awesome info and I woulda never found that myself when not knowing what to look for so again Big-ups to you!

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Big Thank You Jack! You are the Bom ..B Awesome info and I woulda never found that myself when not knowing what to look for so again Big-ups to you!

Best Regards
Chris
Not a problem - just glad I can help someone out.

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:29 AM

Thanks for the responses. However my main questions remain in the dark to me.

#1 What is the "AVID HD 11.0" driver in the 11.0.1 installer package for? Is this the hardware driver I need to install? If yes, why is there a separate 11.0.1 driver installer download with a 11.0.1 number when the 11.0.1 full installer carries a 11.0 driver installer?

#2 How do I start PT11 in english on a German OS? The language script from the answerbase always launches PT10

#3 All PT11 docs are in My Documents/Protools/Documentation. But when want to look at the reference guide from the PT11 help menu I get a "not found" error message.

#4 Do I need to install the codec installers manually or will PT11 do that automatically?

#5 how do I do a clean de-install of 11? Simply remove the app from the applications folder?

BTW: as you can see from my sig. I'm not on windows so DirectX and all that doesn't compute.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Thanks for the responses. However my main questions remain in the dark to me.

#1 What is the "AVID HD 11.0" driver in the 11.0.1 installer package for? Is this the hardware driver I need to install? If yes, why is there a separate 11.0.1 driver installer download with a 11.0.1 number when the 11.0.1 full installer carries a 11.0 driver installer?

#2 How do I start PT11 in english on a German OS? The language script from the answerbase always launches PT10

#3 All PT11 docs are in My Documents/Protools/Documentation. But when want to look at the reference guide from the PT11 help menu I get a "not found" error message.

#4 Do I need to install the codec installers manually or will PT11 do that automatically?

#5 how do I do a clean de-install of 11? Simply remove the app from the applications folder?

BTW: as you can see from my sig. I'm not on windows so DirectX and all that doesn't compute.

Thanks,

Frank.
1: Possibly the driver was updated after the 11.0.1 version was put out.
2: don't know
3: you just did a drag and drop install of PT 11 and let it put things wherever it wanted?
4: when I had the demo of PT11 non HD I didn't need to do a separate install of any codecs
5: that's the way I understand it - just delete the current PT11 stuff from the Applications folder.

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
1: Possibly the driver was updated after the 11.0.1 version was put out.
2: don't know
3: you just did a drag and drop install of PT 11 and let it put things wherever it wanted?
4: when I had the demo of PT11 non HD I didn't need to do a separate install of any codecs
5: that's the way I understand it - just delete the current PT11 stuff from the Applications folder.
1: Ok, so is there any info which one is the correct one? AVID?
3: Yes. Also tried to drag and drop the documents over manually. Same result.
5: What happens to any 11-only plugs etc. I want to get rid of? How do I know which elements are for 11 only?

thanks again,

frank.

PS: BTW: Yes, I meant gatekeeper when I wrote sandboxing. I was just baffled that AVID isn't an Apple approved developer.