Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 01:36 PM

Default Re: New Pro Tools Mbox Personal Recording Systems

Quote:
Just curious, but no one has yet mentioned this. How does it sound? Seems like it should be an improvement over the older models, and I know this is completely an opinion, but does it sound good, great, or awesome?
In my opinion the new Mbox family sounds great. I've listened against many competitive interfaces as well as other Avid interfaces throughout the development process. Our #1 priority with this project was to create an interface with truly best-in-class audio performance. I'm sure as units make their way out into the field we'll hear more opinions. It's definitely better than the ProFire 2626 and Mbox 2. While specs don't tell you how it sounds here are a couple worth mentioning...

Mic Inputs (Balanced)
Dynamic Range (A-wt)
  • Mbox: 110 dB
  • Mbox Pro: 110 dB
  • Mbox Mini: 106 dB
THD+N, 1 k, -1 dBFS
  • Mbox: -100 dB
  • Mbox Pro: -100 dB
  • Mbox Mini: -94 dB
EIN Unwtd, 54 dB gain, 150 R
  • Mbox: -128 dB
  • Mbox Pro: -128 dB
  • Mbox Mini: -128 dB

Quote:
the manual clearly states that through spidf external clocking cannot go above 48khz, just like the old one
This apears to be a typo in the manual. The new Mbox Pro can sync from S/PDIF or Word Clock at sampling rates up to 192kHz and the S/PDIF input works in either configuration.

Quote:
Okay, I'm sold on the mbox pro either way, but I'd like to know more about the built in reverb. Is this the same one that is in the Eleven rack(which if I remember right is based on Reverb One)?

regardless of how good it is, is whether it could be used as an effect while mixing, or if it's only designed for tracking.

..and, is this DSP exclusively for Pro Tools, or is it available for other DAWs?
This is a different reverb than the Eleven Rack and is exclusive to the Mbox hardware. THe reverb is intended for tracking purposes only. It is accessible fromt he Driver Control Panel cue mixer and is available no matter what software you're using (I've added reverb to my iTune playback just for kicks).
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM

So why is the Mini still using USB 1.1?
4 GB RAM
1 TB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro
MBox 2 - PT LE 8.0.4
Swirv
Old 09-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cserv View Post
So why is the Mini still using USB 1.1?
No DSP, only 2 I/O, still at 48k/24 and last remaining device to have a Mix knob. In terms of features, it's still pretty much the same as the old Mini. 1.1 works perfectly fine with all the newer USB ports. No reason to go to 2.0, really.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1122 View Post
This is a different reverb than the Eleven Rack and is exclusive to the Mbox hardware. THe reverb is intended for tracking purposes only. It is accessible fromt he Driver Control Panel cue mixer and is available no matter what software you're using (I've added reverb to my iTune playback just for kicks).
Great news!

Suddenly there is incentive to buy an MBox for more than just Pro Tools.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
This apears to be a typo in the manual. The new Mbox Pro can sync from S/PDIF or Word Clock at sampling rates up to 192kHz and the S/PDIF input works in either configuration.
You the man! This box looks great, really well thought out for giving people just what they need (nailed it for me, at least - I just need to be able to get my front end into Pro Tools with low latency monitoring and perhaps a little reverb for overdubs at my home studio).

And to think I almost picked up an 003 on ebay the other day!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Awesome. I kind of figured that was the case, it wouldn't have made sense to put a limitation on it like that.

Quote:
I can't wait to hear it, hurry up and get those mbox pros shipped out!!!

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Hey Ray.

many Web Ads say the interfaces are USB, but the pics have Firewire 400. which is it?

Also, is the breakout cable for the Midi/Clock and S/PDIF included in the box, or a separate purchase?

Very glad these are here now...been a long wait!

thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM

Are the Mbox and Mbox Pro using identical pre's? And are the converters the same, other than the Pro's ability to do 192kHz?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Will these include a free upgrade to PT9 which will be announced in the next few months? If not, is there any reason we should not wait for those announcements before considering a purchase? (other than keeping your lights on)
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Why no FW800 on the Pro? All the iMacs and Macbook Pros have only FW800. I know you can get a FW800 to FW400 cable however it's a PITA to daisy chain other FW800 devices this way!!!