Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Mbox and PT 6.4 issues with Quicktime and Itunes

I'm relatively new at this and researched the posts for the answers - but without success.

I can't seem to get ITunes or other audio apps (Quicktime) to work through the MBox.

As soon as I launch ITunes or Quicktime, those apps freeze and I have to force quit them. PT 6.4 will work but nothing else. As soon as I unplug the MBox, everything works fine.

I'm using a dual 1Ghz G4 - OSX 10.3.9 - Quicktime Pro 7 and ITunes 4.7.1.

When I launch the G4, the USB LED on the Mbox is not lit. As soon as I try and launch any Quicktime or ITunes app, the USB LED will light but the apps won't load. They just freeze and I have to force quit them.

When I launch the G4, the USB LED on the Mbox is not lit, and as soon as I launch Pro Tools, the USB LED comes on. Pro Tools works, but after I quit Pro Tools, the LED stays lit which doesn't allow Quicktime or ITunes to launch.

So basically, once the LED comes on - all bets are off. The only way I can get the apps to work is to unplug the USB cable from the MBox.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Bugs
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Mbox and PT 6.4 issues with Quicktime and Itunes

Hey Bugs, unfortunately you've run into a few of your namesakes here...

For one, 10.3.9 isn't approved to work with Digidesign stuff - it does actually work (I'm unfortunately on 10.3.9 as well) but the combo is not great, and 10.3.9 is buggy as heck.

Secondly, Quicktime 7 is also furiously buggy with 10.3.9, and also not supported for PT 6.x or coreaudio (a few other posts have popped up around here with QT7 problems).

All that aside, you might want to try the 6.7 version of the CoreAudio driver (I assume you've got 6.4 since that's the LE you're running) - maybe it'll help for some reason, who knows. Otherwise you're kinda stuck in non-compatible land and there's not going to be much anyone can do to help.