Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2001, 08:24 PM

Default protools LE vs logic audio

It seems to me now that logic supports my 001 I would rather use this to do my post production work. It has support for smpte time code unlike this 2-pop garbage I have deal with now. Plus surround sound support. vst as well as realtime audio suite plugs are supported. Support for my akai hardware so far as ability to read sample cds.
IS THERE ANY CONS FOR THIS LINE OF THINKING???? what do I gain from staying with digi?
I would like to start a serious thread here as I feel this is important to discuss seeing how digi doesn't listent to its consumers mabe we should go somewhere else....
please post only serious comments to this thread I don't what to start a cheering spot for either software...
Old 04-17-2001, 02:58 AM

Default Re: protools LE vs logic audio

Well, at least you gain very good compatability for your sessions with big TDM Pro Tools systems. Such would not be the case if you change to Logic.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:50 AM

I'm a big Logic Audio fan and use it with my 001 exclusively from PT LE for most of my work. For the record, Logic does not have RTAS support.

But when I do post production work as a sound editor,unfortunately I always use Pro Tools for this. And not the LE version, but an earlier version in PowerMix mode. There are two compelling reasons for this. Logic does not support OMF, whcih is always the format post audio is delivered to me in. And secondly, I always have to deliver in Pro Tools format for the mix.

------------------
Eli Krantzberg
Nightshift orchestra
Almat Productions
Old 04-17-2001, 08:02 AM

With the issue of Audio Editing:

ProTools LE or TDM is 1000 X more refined and usable than Logic.

Logic is the Elementary Scool, and PT is the University...

Can,t you get an external SMPTE controller IF you are doing Post???

Geez--All the whining about SMPTE...Give me a brake!

As far as Plugs---Any serious individual would have Waves Gold Bundle...Perhaps McDsp...

There are more VST plugs available, but So What?? You can get 100 diamond chips for the same price you could get 1--3 carat Fine quality...You want abundance or quality??
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 04-17-2001, 08:22 AM

For post, nothing beats Audiovision, but since it has been replaced by PT, PT TDM is a pretty good substitute. As for Logic, I think version 5 will start to make things interesting. There will be better automation and editing plus you get all of those midi functions that PT doesn't have.
It will be interesting to see what products Digi comes up with in the next few months, especially for what they perceive to be as the "lower end" of the market.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:53 AM

in response to:
"Logic is the Elementary Scool, and PT is the University..."

the last radiohead album was produced in logic...
I wouldn't call logic elementary
Old 04-18-2001, 11:57 AM

in response to:

radiohead's kid-a was produced in logic
Old 04-18-2001, 04:50 PM

I was tempted to include a laundry list, but the bottom line is that other than more sophisticated audio editing, a feature which just doesn't apply to a lot of users, I have yet to see anything that PTLE could do that Logic doesn't do better and more elegantly, other than PTLE's ability to move entire sections of a song or a group of tracks from one place on the timeline to another. As one who's used both, there's just no comparison for my particular style of work. I rely on Logic daily with zero regrets. The PTLE CD is where I rest my coffee mug.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nanafumi:
in response to:

the last radiohead album was produced in logic...
I wouldn't call logic elementary
Are you serious? I am not anti-Logic, and actually, I don't know Logic at all, so I got no hidden agenda or desire to leash out in vengeance against any pro-Logicians when I ask the following:

Where did you hear that?

I love Radiohead, and their album is one big mistery to me. I would love to know more about the recording process that led to such beautiful production...

Juergen
Old 04-18-2001, 07:29 PM

One area where PT exceeds Logic: non-tempo dependant editing. You can't do this in Logic, cause it's songs are all tempo/signature-based to a rigid grid. Furthermore, that grid is based on bars/SMPTE at it's arrange level. And, you do not get down to sample-level editing until you dig deeper into another edit window (and struggle with anchor/start/stop points). But, once you do this, you have no reference point (such as another track...example: bass with respect to kick) to adjust your edits to. With PT's 'slip' mode and flexible ruler assignments, "free-form" editing is performed with ease at the sample level in one unified window.

Another area where PT exceeds Logic: grouping tracks and editing of grouped tracks. With Logic, not only do the above problems apply (and even more so), but Logic's use of 'Folder Tracks' is a clumsy method to group tracks for editing.

In short, Logic (and Cubase, DP et al) are all dealing with audio as if they were MIDI tracks. They have all adopted the same method of arrange/editing that Passport's MasterTracks Pro of the mid-1980's began and they haven't changed.

The "elementary school to university" analogy is a fitting one.

[This message has been edited by PeeTee (edited April 18, 2001).]