Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Play/Pause Issue Resolved - Maybe? Try This.

when i try to do this i get :

"the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated wit it"

any idea what service ?

or what device ?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music project View Post
when i try to do this i get :

"the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated wit it"

any idea what service ?

or what device ?
I get that too.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Are you sure you are all NOT logging under the Administrative account to begin with? When I set up XP, it asked me to create a user account with a password. Every time I log on to Windows then, I log in under that account (XP OEM). You never see the Administration account at the Welcome Screen
(using Tweak UI or Power Tools type programs CAN bring this option up upon log in though).

When I log in under MY ACCOUNT, and follow those steps, I can then run the program as an Administrator. There are a few options.

For those who asked, I DID open up Pro-Tools the old way and the errors, ALL of them came back. I must emphasize that for me, these errors have been UNIQUE TO PRO-TOOLS 8. Running as an administrator at least for the last 8-9 hours has leased new life into my perception of the PT8 experience, because NOW, it runs like its supposed to, and truly feels like an upgrade.

I'm still crossing my finger though because, well; you never know . . .
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 02:56 PM

When I go to "user Accounts" I has only one account and associates it with "Computer administrator, Password protected."

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM

There's a bit of confusion here. When you do a FRESH INSTALL of Win XP, you are asked to create a user account. You name it and give it a password. This account (let's call it TOM), for all sakes of the argument IS AN ADMINSTRATOR account because you just set your computer up.

There is however a PRIMARY Administrator account (which has even more privileges than your User Administrative account) that is not at all accessed. This is normally hidden from view in XP (not sure why this is). I am guessing that you may already be under that account if you are receiving that message.

Sorry if I am explaining this in an elementary fashion, it's not to insult anyone; rather, just for sake of clarity. A program like Power Toys For Windows XP or Tweak UI can reveal this "Hidden" primary Administrative account at the log in screen.

Here are some old threads that I googled which explain this issue:

http://forum.soft32.com/win3/Hide-ad...pict41691.html
http://search.techrepublic.com.com/s...akui+tool.html
http://forum.soft32.com/win3/Hide-is...pict34894.html

The question is to figure out which account you are under, but you should not be receiving that message when trying to run as an Administrator. I couldn't even see why that option would even BE THERE if you were running under the primary Administrative account.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM

I'm lost on this whole thing because i did not set up a password or anything when i installed windows xp. From what Ive read you have to be in safe mode to use administrative account. I guess i need a step by step on how to achieve this for dummies....
Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM

SURELY. I cannot be the only one on this forum who can do this correct? This option is available even on my Public High School PCs at work. There the students have to log on separate students accounts, Instructors on their accounts. There is an Administrator account that we log into if we want to install programs. Those are Dell Machines (which don't exactly provide a Utopia for Pro-Tools users).

None of you have parent Administrator accounts as evidenced by right clicking on a Program?
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Ok, just was able to do a quick test. Granted, I need to make sure I can go replicate the issue again. However, just doing a right click on the PT icon and doing "Run As" and using the admin account, I could not get the Play / Pause issue to happen using a session that was giving all sorts of problems all of the time. I am anxious to do more testing tonight. But so far it seems as though this may have fixed it for me also. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:01 PM

I have 2 choices when right clicking and then clicking "Run As..." the User Account I've set up and Administrator. Then under Administrator there is the choice of Administrator or my User Account. I don't have a password for Administrator and when I select my User Account and put in my Password, the Run As box reverts to the first choice rather than the Administrator box choice after I close the dialogue. In Control Panel>User Accounts I'm listed as the Computer Administrator and no other accounts are listed. The Guest Account is turned off. I'm assuming that there is only one account, mine, and it's the Administrator Account. That could be what's happening for some of the other people.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I have 2 choices when right clicking and then clicking "Run As..." the User Account I've set up and Administrator. Then under Administrator there is the choice of Administrator or my User Account. I don't have a password for Administrator and when I select my User Account and put in my Password, the Run As box reverts to the first choice rather than the Administrator box choice after I close the dialogue. In Control Panel>User Accounts I'm listed as the Computer Administrator and no other accounts are listed. The Guest Account is turned off. I'm assuming that there is only one account, mine, and it's the Administrator Account. That could be what's happening for some of the other people.

Cheers,
On your desktop, right click on "System"
Choose "Manage"
In the left hand pane of that window, you should see something about user accounts. Click on Users and then on the right hand window pane, you can right click on Administrator and choose "Set Password". Once you set the password, try doing the "Run As" again using the password you just set.

Also, since it will be running under a different user, your previous sessions and such won't show up by default under the last opened sessions when PT first launches. You will have to just open them and browse to where they are at.