Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-03-2015, 02:11 AM

Default "can't create bounce files because would overwrite files used by this session"

I'm an audiobook narrator producing my first solo narration from start-to-finish. I've had the mother of all learning curves with this software, like you do, and I'm up against a deadline for my author, who's moving out of the country in a few weeks and needs to have this book totally completed asap.

I just tried to bounce Ch. 1, after realizing that I needed to make a bunch more volume adjustments, and spent about 4 hours working on 40 minutes of narration, only to get this error when I went to bounce:

"Can't create bounce files because (name of file) would overwrite files used by this session."

There's only a button saying "OK" at the bottom of the d-box, and I disagree... this is *NOT* OK with me. I would prefer it just overwrite the damn files, because this is my final cut, and I don't give a poo about what it overwrites, as long as it bounces the damn file.

I'm pretty much desperate. The Pro Tools expert who's been indispensable to me for the last month is working 14 hour days this week, and can't do much for me. Any help would be phenomenal. I looked for others posting about this error, and found nothing.

My spec should be in my signature, but feel free to pepper me with questions, and I'll do my best... Pretend I know nothing: while I'm not stupid, and I learn wicked-fast, I am also Not an audio engineer, and am way out of my depth most of the time here so far.

Thanks, ducs.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
pro tools 11
10g RAM
1tb ssd/hd
(is there anything else I should have put here that I didn't? )
Old 08-03-2015, 03:36 AM

Default Re: "can't create bounce files because would overwrite files used by this session"

Are you trying to use faster than real time (offline) bounce?
If you are have you tried giving the offline bounce dialog box a different name for the file that the bounce is trying to create?

What specific revision of PT11 do you have?

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 AM

Default Re: "can't create bounce files because would overwrite files used by this session"

I am using offline bounce... for 35 minute chapters it's the *reason* I spent hundreds of $$ on 11, because I could have just kept working in 10 on a friend's comp.

I'm not sure what upgrade I'm on... 11.3.1? when I look it properties, it just says 11.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
pro tools 11
10g RAM
1tb ssd/hd
Old 08-03-2015, 03:53 AM

Huh, I may have just solved my own problem. I was able to export the file *with all of the volume adjustments* (incredibly important and time-consuming piece) into a new session, and bounce from there. Still don't know how to get around the error, but this worked!
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
pro tools 11
10g RAM
1tb ssd/hd
Old 08-03-2015, 03:55 AM

If you are have you tried giving the offline bounce dialog box a different name for the file that the bounce is trying to create?

I will try this next time, though, good call.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
pro tools 11
10g RAM
1tb ssd/hd