Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-05-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility

You might consider upgrading to the newest version of the software. Many improvements have been made, and since there have been 3 major version upgrades since 6.4cs9, I seriously doubt that they will be making any updates to that version of the software, since any updates necessary would be in the newer versions.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-29-2006, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Service Pack 2 - AM III

Hey, I am trying to use ProTools 6.1 with AMIII on XP with SP2. And I'm getting the blue screen. I'm totally new to Windows/PC and built it myself... genius, but I get way more bang for my buck. So now it'll make your eyes roll back in your head when I ask what is BIOS? And what are you doing right that I'm doing wrong? Any idea? Any help is super, super appreciated.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:30 AM

The last version of Pro Tools that is compatible with the AMIII is 6.1.

The first version of Pro Tools compatible with SP2 is 6.4cs9.

See the problem here?

You will need to:
  1. revert to XP SP1 somewhow, or
  2. Purchase new Digidesign hardware

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-29-2006, 09:00 AM

Hi,

I hope this helps...

I'm able to run my MBox with ProTools LE on WinXP SP2 running on a Dell M70 laptop, but it's a pain because of the blue screen / reboot when I ask it to shut down, and it also seems to break my disk backup utility, Symantec LiveState Recovery, so I can't back up my machine.

My workaround is to rename a couple of Digi dll's and reboot. These seem to be the Digi drivers which cause WinXPSP2 the problem.

I renamed:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys
to:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys.original

and renamed:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys
to:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys.original

Then I created two batch files on my desktop as follows:

RemoveMBoxDrivers.bat contains:
del "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys"
del "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys"

Install MBoxDrivers.bat contains::
copy "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys.original " "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys"
copy "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys.original " "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys"

Then if I want to quickly disable ProToolsLE, I just doubleclick on the RemoveMBoxDrivers.bat from my desktop, and reboot. The machine then behaves as if ProTools was never installed - i.e. - no BSOD / bogus reboot, and I can back up my system.

Then to re-activate ProTools LE, I doubleclick on Install MBoxDrivers.bat from my desktop, and reboot (not even sure if I need to reboot, but I'm just cautious that way.)

BTW, I also found that with the Dell M70, I needed to set the buffer size thingy to maximum to record more than 30 seconds worth of stuff. This is reasonably well documented in the Digi ProTools LE Guide.

Anyhow, this allows me to work, but I curse Digi every time I have to do this because it costs me time and aggravation. I bought MBox / ProTools LE because I thought Digi had claimed it was certified to run on XP SP2.

This is why,
I Hate Software
(p.s. - I work for a large software company, no not THAT one, and I have to deal with this kind of stuff every day. I'd much rather spend my time playing some tunes... still awaiting any response from Digi - by now they'll be saying my warranty is up...)
Old 09-30-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
WinXP SP2 with PTLE 6.1.1 - AMIII works OK for me without any problems. For your firewire drivers question check this - http://www.rme-audio.de/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm
This guy says it works fine for him... I'm trying to find out how... Possible I may buy an Mbox from a friend. Will this fix my problem if I do?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:16 AM

Hey man,

I really appreciate you trying to help me out. So I found those files in the drivers folder, but none of them have ".sys" (or .anything else). So for example DigiFilter.sys is just DigiFilter in my folder. Should I change it to ".sys.original" anyway?

Also, I am a TOTAL novice on PCs. Mac person here converting to PC for financial reasons. So... what is a batch file? And how do I create one? What is a "work around"? I feel like the dumb kid in Advanced Chinese who doesn't yet know the alphabet. Would you be willing to help me out with some step-by-step (XP for dummies) kind of thing? Also, since mine is an AudioMediaIII card and yours is an MBox, I'm using 6.1, is it the same in terms of these commands, do you think? Again, someone above said 'that can't work' but actually, I was running PT just fine before upgrading to Service Pack 2. Anyway... in any case, I really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Cheers

Quote:
Hi,

I hope this helps...

I'm able to run my MBox with ProTools LE on WinXP SP2 running on a Dell M70 laptop, but it's a pain because of the blue screen / reboot when I ask it to shut down, and it also seems to break my disk backup utility, Symantec LiveState Recovery, so I can't back up my machine.

My workaround is to rename a couple of Digi dll's and reboot. These seem to be the Digi drivers which cause WinXPSP2 the problem.

I renamed:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys
to:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys.original

and renamed:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys
to:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys.original

Then I created two batch files on my desktop as follows:

RemoveMBoxDrivers.bat contains:
del "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys"
del "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys"

Install MBoxDrivers.bat contains::
copy "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys.original " "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\Dalwdm.sys"
copy "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys.original " "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\DigiFilter.sys"

Then if I want to quickly disable ProToolsLE, I just doubleclick on the RemoveMBoxDrivers.bat from my desktop, and reboot. The machine then behaves as if ProTools was never installed - i.e. - no BSOD / bogus reboot, and I can back up my system.

Then to re-activate ProTools LE, I doubleclick on Install MBoxDrivers.bat from my desktop, and reboot (not even sure if I need to reboot, but I'm just cautious that way.)

BTW, I also found that with the Dell M70, I needed to set the buffer size thingy to maximum to record more than 30 seconds worth of stuff. This is reasonably well documented in the Digi ProTools LE Guide.

Anyhow, this allows me to work, but I curse Digi every time I have to do this because it costs me time and aggravation. I bought MBox / ProTools LE because I thought Digi had claimed it was certified to run on XP SP2.

This is why,
I Hate Software
(p.s. - I work for a large software company, no not THAT one, and I have to deal with this kind of stuff every day. I'd much rather spend my time playing some tunes... still awaiting any response from Digi - by now they'll be saying my warranty is up...)
Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options... / View Tab / remove the tick mark from "Hide extensions for known file types" / OK

That will let you see the file name extensions.

To make a batch file, right click on the desktop / new text document / then rename it to mybatchfile.bat or some such / open it in a text editor and cut and paste the stuff from my previous post and save it. Double-clicking on the icon will then execute it.

A workaround is some gyrations real people have to do every day, just so some coder can get away with poor quality product, and make business more profitable for some hearless software company. Believe me - I know from experience since I work for one.

Disclaimer - I hate Windows more than Mac, so sorry to hear you've been duped into XP. I only use it because I have to at work. Best of luck to you - you're entering very murky waters. Get some good anti virus stuff, find a disk backup utility, get a defragger, and never visit any questionable web sites. The cost of Windows is not buying it - it's fixing it on a daily basis.

Anyway, don't let my attitude get you down - software is actually fun for the first 25,000 hours. Then suddenly it just bites.

Mostly I just want to play tunes, or sit outside with my dog and feel the sunshine. Really rots my socks that Digi hasn't yet replied with a real answer, much less some dll's that don't break Windows XP with their silly power mode incompatibility. Digi sold me stuff that doesn't work with XP SP2. As a result, I do less music now. Still waiting for them to make it right...

This is why...
IHateSoftware
Old 10-11-2006, 08:19 AM

FWIW before you go crazy, I just put in Service Pack 2 and my AudioMedia III ProTools 6.1.1 works perfectly!
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson