Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Default Seamless PT 7.4 Operation on Dell XPS M1330

To all...

I have found a way to operate PT 7.4 on a Dell XPS M1330 with no issues for any interested out there.

I at first struggled with getting decent operation in Vista and finally gave up. Yet what I came to find is that Dell does not offer it's drivers for Windows XP systems (although some are available externally...things like the webcam and other drivers are not available. So I found a way to have my cake and eat it too....

I'm operating in a Dual Boot configuration with Vista (for business purposes) and XP Pro SP3 (although I imagine SP2 will work just as well).

Here is the laptop and hardware configuration I'm using

Dell XPS M1330 w/T8300 Core 2 Duo processor and 3GB ram.
160GB 7200 RPM hard drive
Nvidia geforce 8400M GS video card
bluetooth
LED backlit screen

Music stuff

M-audio Fast Track Pro USB sound card
USB port expander (for iLoks and such)
Protools M-Powered 7.4cs5

Basically I used the Vista Install CD and XP Pro install CD to and did a diskpart (disk partition) shrink of the fully occupied Vista partition. It shrunk the 150GB (10GB recovery) partition by 37GB which was plenty to install XP PRO, PRo Tools, drivers and some plugs that I wanted on the system disk. Everything else will be installed on an eSATA external drive (this will be used for session files too).

Once repartitioned and XP PRo loaded on the new partition....I had the cleanest driver free environment you could imagine. Even though I can't load some of the drivers....I don't really care because I can copy files between the partitions...I don't need anything like antivirus or wireless or anything for this partition. It makes for a very clean PT opeating environment. The nice thing about the configuration is that a restart gives me the option of booting to either operating system seamlessly. It's perfect for those that want PT some of the time but want to use their laptop for business purposes as well.

I'll get into more details about the dual boot config but this link will describe the entire process I went through when a vista system was loaded first.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

Fire away with questions if you have them.....I'll be glad to answer....

John