Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-21-2002, 08:53 PM

Default What\'s prefered for G4 serial MIDI:GeeThree Stealth Port or Griffin g4Port ?

I've got a QS 933 running 9.2.2 and just got a PT001.

I'd like to be able to use my Opcode Studio 4 with it as my MIDI rig is a decent size and the Studio 4 still works fine.

I understand Digi supports both the GeeThree Stealth Port and the Griffin gPort. (Does that include the new g4Port too? I didn't see that listed on this site)

Is there a preference of one of these over the other here for use with the 001and Serial MIDI?

I found one thread in the MIDI area where someone said the Griffin is prefered.

Suggestions, advice, and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JoeM

PT 2023.12.1 Ultimate, 7,1 Mac Pro -12 Core, 96 GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 Monterey, 2 TB SSD system and apps, 2 TB Accelsior RAID 0 SSD projects / HD Native card with HD Omni, Eleven Rack, UAD Quad PCIe, UAD TB3 OCTO satellite, MOTU midi express 128 // Mac Pro 4,1 - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, PT 11.3.2
Old 11-21-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: What\'s prefered for G4 serial MIDI:GeeThree Stealth Port or Griffin g4Port ?

I can't compare because I've only used the Griffin G-port, but it works very well. Hope that helps
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 11-22-2002, 02:22 AM

Default Re: What\'s prefered for G4 serial MIDI:GeeThree Stealth Port or Griffin g4Port ?

Hi JoeM
I've used both serial ports and they both work well.I now use the Griffin "g4Port".(( DO NOT GET THE gPort IT WILL NOT WORK IN G4 MACS)) The "g4Port" is really easy to install and you have the option to use an un-occupied PCI bay or to remove the modem phone jack and use that slot..... the GeeThree doesn't give you the PCI option (you might want to call GeeThree to see if both options are now available).
Both ports work under OS X (including Jaguar). The one thing I love about the g4Port is i'ts size. I'ts 1/4 the size of the Stealth Port, so fitting it in the mac was a breeze !!! Also because of it's size,I was able to leave the disconnected internal modem screwed in with one of the original screws (just thought the modem would be safer inside the mac).
I like them both.... but the g4Port gets my pick "by a neck".
Good Luck,
PASSIVE Music.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:12 AM

Steve (letrev) and Passive Music:

Thank you both for your help and insight.

I've ordered the g4Port from DrBott and look forward to getting my Studio4 up and running with my new 001 (maybe I'll even see if I can get StudioVision sorted out on my 933<G>) .

I like the idea of the smaller size and the PCI option as well.

Thanks again,

JoeM

PT 2023.12.1 Ultimate, 7,1 Mac Pro -12 Core, 96 GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 Monterey, 2 TB SSD system and apps, 2 TB Accelsior RAID 0 SSD projects / HD Native card with HD Omni, Eleven Rack, UAD Quad PCIe, UAD TB3 OCTO satellite, MOTU midi express 128 // Mac Pro 4,1 - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, PT 11.3.2
Old 11-22-2002, 08:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PASSIVE Music:
[QB]
Both ports work under OS X (including Jaguar).

???????
what do you mean? you can use it with let's say Logic over OSX???? with a midi timepiece or unitor?