Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Long time 001 user with upgrade questions

Hi all,

It has been a long time since I last researched my original system. I have since built a number of workstations but my faithful Digi is long overdue for upgrading. I have an old P3 001 system with Windows 98. It has done everthing I've needed (mostly mixing live stuff from Tascam DA38's)and has been trouble free for many years. To give you an idea how old, I still haven't upgraded to 5.1 because it was so solid.

So my questions are:

What is the consensus on the 003 and firewire in general? I can get the 002 rack and the 003 rack hardware exchange for aroung the same money. (I have firewire on my laptop and tried video editing with it and gave up in frustration.)

AMD or Intel, what is the major performance differences? Chipsets? What works and what should I avoid? Favorite motherboard with Digi?

I started to go through the best desktop thread but boy has that grown. I can't believe that thread is still going and that another one hasn't been started just to make it easier to navigate.

Anyway, I just want to do what I did with my first one, research what works best and spend more happy Digi years without regret.

Thanks in advance

Don Goguen
Old 09-18-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Long time 001 user with upgrade questions

Quote:
Hi all,

It has been a long time since I last researched my original system. I have since built a number of workstations but my faithful Digi is long overdue for upgrading. I have an old P3 001 system with Windows 98. It has done everthing I've needed (mostly mixing live stuff from Tascam DA38's)and has been trouble free for many years. To give you an idea how old, I still haven't upgraded to 5.1 because it was so solid.

So my questions are:

What is the consensus on the 003 and firewire in general? I can get the 002 rack and the 003 rack hardware exchange for aroung the same money. (I have firewire on my laptop and tried video editing with it and gave up in frustration.)

AMD or Intel, what is the major performance differences? Chipsets? What works and what should I avoid? Favorite motherboard with Digi?

I started to go through the best desktop thread but boy has that grown. I can't believe that thread is still going and that another one hasn't been started just to make it easier to navigate.

Anyway, I just want to do what I did with my first one, research what works best and spend more happy Digi years without regret.

Thanks in advance

Don Goguen

Heres a good place to start for the computer build.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=5&o=7&fpart=1
Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

It has been a long time since I last researched my original system. I have since built a number of workstations but my faithful Digi is long overdue for upgrading. I have an old P3 001 system with Windows 98. It has done everthing I've needed (mostly mixing live stuff from Tascam DA38's)and has been trouble free for many years. To give you an idea how old, I still haven't upgraded to 5.1 because it was so solid...
Welcome back. Yeah, 5.0 and 5.3 were pretty good and solid. You'll be glad to know that you missed a few nightmare releases. If you're looking for a good solid computer today, then build the Sunburst Intel Quad spec. If you want to add a ton of power to your curent 001/PIII rig, then I suggest getting REAPER for the front end DAW. You'll end up with many features that we still dont have in PT LE such as full PDC, HDC, unlimited tracks, unlimited bussess, network FX processing (use spare machines on your local network for processing), élastique audio, and the list goes on. Even if you upgraded to PT LE 6.4 for your 001, it is very lacking by todays standards. Keep us posted on your new build. You'll have a smokin' machine.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the link. I started looking at that thread and will likely go with the P5B if that is the current best option.

I recently built a new gaming platform for my son using the EVGA Nforce 650i Ultra and an EVGA 8800 video card. Great system but I read there have been issues with Digi.

I'll look through the P5B options and figure out what version I need. The video card is the big question at this point. I am driving a 40" Samsung LCD (bonus from former employer) that is 1920x1024 and would like as good perfomance out of the video as I can get short of SLI.

Still hoping to get some computer hardware suggestions particularly video card issues. Drives, memory and such I am familiar with selecting for performance.

Also some feedback on the 003 would be great. I've not found much positive or negative on the board. I'm thinking the 003 Rack Factory as it would be a big jump up in plug-in's for me.

Again Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM

hi Folkcafe, I want to tell you something about me, Since 1984 with only 13 years old, I start as DJ here in México City, for a while I made Private Partys and was very good on that days, for 5 years, Then I start as Pro DJ in one Bar on 1990, Mixin Live Tapes in that place, at 1997 I start recording on Mini Disc, then at 1999, I iniciate me on Recordong Inside the Box! using my firt PC PIII at 450 Ghz, with 512 MB of Ram, and a 32 Videao card, with 6 Gb of Hard Drive for Operate Sys, and One more for projects, with Wavelab as my Editor Software. but on that days, does PC it doesn'y work to me, when I bougth my first Sequencer Software that was Cubase VST 32 Version 3. Recorder Audio, always make me nuts, of Course I have to start learning all about PC, since Memory Video, Processor, Motherboard etc, in fact, I live here on México City, selling custom PC's, in this 7 years! around 300 PC every year, So, I have to tell you, AMD is a Processor Brand very Cheap, the problem with this company, are the Motherboard, Intel has its own Processors and Motherboards, that is the diference, I never Use other brand, only Intel or in MAD case, MSI, but I try always sales Intel PC's, never give me any king of problems, any! I have a lot experience arming custom PCs!

Right now I recommend one Mother Intel DP35Dp, 119 dlls, with Q6600 Quad Core Processor at 2.4 Ghz, of 277 dlls and OCZ OCZ2P8004GQ 4GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) DDR2 Memory 210 dlls aprox, one Video Card EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR Geforce 8600 GT of 155 dlls, So with 770 dlls you have one great PC, only you need one good case from Cooler Master, one Extra Hard Drive, and your 003 or 003R with Factory bundle, and you are on the other side,
Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
or in MAD case, MSI, but I try always sales Intel PC's, never give me any king of problems, any! I have a lot experience arming custom PCs!
MSI motherboards aren't exactly the most reliable… more "value" boards than anything - imo, Asus, Abit or Gigabyte are the ones to look at.