Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 06-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Avid

Default Re: Eucon 20.5 Automation Lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapodpost View Post
Android: https://www.tripplite.com/usb-c-to-g...ing~U43606NGBC

iPad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I run everything into an unmanaged switch and have the computer serve DHCP - android tablets seem to have trouble otherwise.
Thanks for those links and helping others. A direct Ethernet connection would definitely cut down latency a little. How much would depend on how good your WiFi was though. Some would barely see any difference, others a lot. Note though this bug has nothing to do with this and is a genuine bug we are working on right now.

In regards to the Computer giving out DHCP addresses, I just want to clear up that its not(unless you have 3rd party DHCP Server software running), so people don't get confused. If there is no DHCP server(Router) on the network and the Ethernet port or Surface is set to DHCP (default) then the Ethernet adapter/Surface gives itself an IP address. This is always in the range 169.254.x.x and called Link Local. As this is always the same subnet everything can see each other.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
In regards to the Computer giving out DHCP addresses, I just want to clear up that its not(unless you have 3rd party DHCP Server software running), so people don't get confused. If there is no DHCP server(Router) on the network and the Ethernet port or Surface is set to DHCP (default) then the Ethernet adapter/Surface gives itself an IP address. This is always in the range 169.254.x.x and called Link Local. As this is always the same subnet everything can see each other.

That's correct Eddie. However I was having issues with link local dishing out IPs to wired tablets. Consoles had no problem. So I enabled the proper builtin macOS DHCP server (instructions here) and it has been working great since. Note you MUST change the IPs in this document so that they don't overlap your existing networks.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapodpost View Post
That's correct Eddie. However I was having issues with link local dishing out IPs to wired tablets. Consoles had no problem. So I enabled the proper builtin macOS DHCP server (instructions here) and it has been working great since. Note you MUST change the IPs in this document so that they don't overlap your existing networks.
Ha, thats cool. I didnt know you could do that! A bit advanced though for most users.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Please elaborate? Did I miss this earlier?

it was written before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfrequency View Post
So here's an interesting part of this bug. Try this, touch the fader BEFORE you hit play. For me, automation now starts writing straight away when the transport starts. If I wait to touch the fader after I hit play, it takes about 1 second for automation to start writing. I hope that helps Avid find and solve the problem in Eucon. Thanks in advance for solving this issue for us!!
Old 06-02-2020, 02:53 PM

i have updated dock's firmware, and the situation is:

- still delayed auto write
- huge lag on s3 displays - the layouts switch very quickly, but the displays stay frozen for many seconds, sometimes they even seem to never change

so the layouts switching works. i just don't see the proper fader names. or eq parameters.

congratulations on layout editing, finally. thanks
Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
i have updated dock's firmware, and the situation is:

- still delayed auto write
- huge lag on s3 displays - the layouts switch very quickly, but the displays stay frozen for many seconds, sometimes they even seem to never change

so the layouts switching works. i just don't see the proper fader names. or eq parameters.

congratulations on layout editing, finally. thanks
I'm seeing exactly the same with the same hardware. For me though, I'm unable to go into write till the names populate. It's faster with out the dock, but even the still a 2 second-plus lag.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:05 PM
Avid

I'm going to post a slightly older build of 20.5.0 for anyone brave who would like to test if its OK in this build. It was OK for beta testers. Please use the release installer to uninstall first and then install this build. Its Mac only and unsupported...other than from me on here. (You can always go back to the release)

It will work with the release Control App.

Please post your finding ASAP so we can figure this out and get a 20.6 release out.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:15 PM

i have installed the beta

at first it was even worse, then i restarted my s3 and euconand it is kind of better but still not perfect

- the display lag is shorter, now it's like 2 seconds, sometimes 4 secs
- after switching back from another application to protools there is like 30 seconds of total lack of contact, the s3 does not react
- when it comes back to life the displays are frozen for another 30 second, but layout changes work
- after that everything works with this 2-4 seconds display lag
- however strange layout resets - all tracks change to auto assigned - happen from time to time (this i have never experienced before in any eucon version)
Old 06-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
i have installed the beta

at first it was even worse, then i restarted my s3 and euconand it is kind of better but still not perfect

- the display lag is shorter, now it's like 2 seconds, sometimes 4 secs
- after switching back from another application to protools there is like 30 seconds of total lack of contact, the s3 does not react
- when it comes back to life the displays are frozen for another 30 second, but layout changes work
- after that everything works with this 2-4 seconds display lag
- however strange layout resets - all tracks change to auto assigned - happen from time to time (this i have never experienced before in any eucon version)
But what about the automation lag that this thread is about. (I think you have a different issue with the displays, likely network related)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:18 AM

the auto lag is still there