Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2002, 06:10 AM

Default How\'s Windows ME working for you?

Just wondering how Windows ME is working for everyone. I'm going to do a fresh install of the OS and I'm thinking of going to ME (been using 98SE). I've also heard that it is crucial to go to windowsupdates.com and opitmize this OS. Has anyone else heard of this? My poor system drive is loaded with crap. I can't even shut PT down, but man it sure runs better than ever. Someone posted an article from Tascam on the DUC on how to optimize your computer and it really helped out my already kick butt system. Check it out. Thanks guys.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:37 AM

Default Re: How\'s Windows ME working for you?

Quote:
Originally posted by H-man:
Just wondering how Windows ME is working for everyone. I'm going to do a fresh install of the OS and I'm thinking of going to ME (been using 98SE). I've also heard that it is crucial to go to windowsupdates.com and opitmize this OS. Has anyone else heard of this? My poor system drive is loaded with crap. I can't even shut PT down, but man it sure runs better than ever. Someone posted an article from Tascam on the DUC on how to optimize your computer and it really helped out my already kick butt system. Check it out. Thanks guys.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I originally was on 98SE with no problems after I got the system tweaked. When I built my new PC, I went with ME. It apears to be a tad more stable, but PTLE performances apears to be the same with no real differences that I can tell.

~Cheers~
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 05-01-2002, 11:18 AM

ME works great for me. Very rarely has it ever crashed since I put it together.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:29 AM

It has worked well for me too. When I hear rants against ME, I suspect the problem lies elsewhere. I suppose it's possible to get a bad copy of an OS, but I'm no expert on that. I just know it's worked well in the two machines I've used it in.

~rh
Old 05-01-2002, 11:50 AM

windows me seems to work better with some setups than it does with others. runs very well on my antique system (PIII 1000/Asus CUSL2) but on two other systems i put together which were pretty much the same spec (Asus CUSL2-C instead of CUSL2) it caused an unending line of problems. i couldn't explain this and neither could anyone i spoke to.

with an Athlon system, i got better results under ME than with 98SE so all in all, i think it is an improvement over the stock-standard 98 and 98SE.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:43 PM

It's awful on my Intel 815 MB. Run away!
Old 05-02-2002, 07:17 AM

I get random shut downs occasionally when I have both Acid Pro and PTLE open. Over all it works fine, though.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:08 AM

I've been using ME for over a year now and have had no problems what-so-ever. I did read the suggestions for configuring my system and have nothing running in the background, no screen savers, not auto-updates or anything else, just like the config docs say.

Trying to run two CPU hungry apps simultaneously such as PT and Acid is asking for trouble. I am even reluctant to consult the on-line docs as any attempt to read these requires Acrobat Reader and that just takes a chunk out of the available memory leaving less room for PT. I have and do occasionally need to do this though and to insure that it causes the least bit of trouble possible, I have a separate drive for my audio files and I keep my documentation in a directory on the system drive so as to reduce the possibility od conflicts between audio functions and me referencing the docs at the same time.

Just my $.02 worth. Good luck.