Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Default Problem with multichannel virtual instruments on Pro Tools

Hi everyone,

I am having problems when using multichannel instruments such as Stylux RMX inside Pro Tools.

What I usually do is:
Setup a stereo instrument track, load a virtual instrument and assign a few midi tracks to this instruments. I then compose a track, setup some levels and pans on those midi tracks, save my session and close it.
Whenever I open it again all my midi channels' faders and pan pots are reset to zero.

I have been trying to find out why on Google, forums etc but cannot find anyone talking about this issue. If this is a common problem forgive my ignorance and please kindly redirect me to any thread talking about it.

If not, could anyone advise me on how to deal with it or change that as its driving me crazy!!

Many thanks,

Fred
Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Problem with multichannel virtual instruments on Pro Tools

on the top of your plugin window, you should have the ability to save the setting as. This way you can recall them later or on an other project.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Fred,

That must be frustrating. I haven't ever seen Pro Tools reset MIDI parameters of MIDI tracks when I restart my project, but I don't work the same way that you do with Stylus. Let me tell you what I do and maybe it will help you avoid what appears to be an annoying bug.

I start by creating 8 instrument tracks (not midi tracks).

I insert Stylus RMX on the first instrument track and I will use that track for monitoring new instruments or for the EFX that come from Stylus.

I will then assign all of my midi outputs of the instrument tracks, 2-8 to Stylus channels 2-8. At this point, it would be similar to your set-up except that you are now using instrument tracks.

I will then select the inputs of each instrument tracks to be B-H. So track 2 would be Stylus B (don't know exact wording PT uses as I am not at my rig right now). Track 3 would be Stylus C and so forth. You find these inputs by choosing "Plug-in - Stylus - A" on the input.

Now start with instrument 2 to find a sound you like. Once you find the sound you like, go to the mixer window in Stylus and assign it to output B. Realize that Stylus defaults back to output A when you change sounds (which is really dumb- I've sent a request to Spectrasonics on this). Next go to instrment 3 and find the sound you like. Then assign that sound to output C in the mixer window and so forth. This will make it so that each instrument track not only controls the MIDI, but also controls the audio outputs for that instrument from Stylus.

This approach will allow you to do all of the panning and mixing of levels for Stylus inside of Pro Tools. That way you will not even have to deal with MIDI panning and levels as you will be using the audio adjustments with PT's mixer.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you run into a dead end with this approach.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio

Last edited by Dizzi45Z; 03-19-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: needed clarification
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM

Thanks to both of you for your quick reply.
I thought of saving the settings but I wanted to be able to control my mix from Pro Tools and not from the plug-ins.

Dizzi I am definitely going to try your method that seems perfect for what I need. It will give me even more mix/control possibility over each sound that way. Thank you so much for your great advice.