Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 AM

Default No Input Monitoring Pro Tools V11.3.1 and MBox Pro

I have recently upgraded all my hardware and software. New PC and OS, Pro Tools V11.3.1 and MBox Pro.

Since upgrading, I do not have any Input Only Monitoring or Auto Input Monitoring. Changing this menu option makes no difference. The only way I can hear Instruments connected to my MBox Pro Input's is to enable record on the specific track.

I purchased my MBox Pro hardware on EBay separate from the Pro Tools software from Avid. This has never worked since I connected all the hardware and installed the software, so it is possible to be a hardware issue with my MBox.

I have been managing with playback of recording, low latency monitoring, and small buffer settings etc. However during my recent projects I am finding it difficult to record multiple inputs at the same time with out the artists struggling with the small delay.

I have searched the forums and have read much about low latency monitoring and the menu option for "Input Only Monitoring/Auto Input Monitoring". I also read people asking for Pro Tools feature changes regarding this issue.

I am not sure if this is a hardware, software or configuration issue!

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Last edited by BassManJack; 04-11-2017 at 05:58 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-11-2017, 06:44 AM

Default Re: No Input Monitoring Pro Tools V11.3.1 and MBox Pro

Firstly – let me say “Welcome to the Forum” and compliment you on your perspicacity, as far as knowing a good place to be! Captain Beefheart once said “My head is my house, unless it rains” – and he can spot a Cool Spot from a million miles ….

For Pro Tools 11, Input Only Monitoring was only available with Pro Tools 11 HD.
It’s now thankfully available in Pro Tools 12 (Vanilla) as a New Feature.

Toggle between Auto Input Monitoring and Input Only Monitoring = Opt-K (Alt-K on PC)

http://ptuser.blogspot.com.au/2009/0...onitoring.html
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanks unkJE for your welcome and an introduction to the word 'perspicacity'.

Also thank you for providing me an Answer to my prob. It is as I thought that 11.x vanilla does not support Input monitoring.

I do have a valid copy of 12.x however due to installing some 'Legacy Drivers' attempting to get my MBox 2 working V12.x will not install.

I think I need to wipe my OS and start from from scratch..... Need to check I got all my licenses and install sets etc

Again Thanks
Old 04-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Alt-K toggles input monitoring on PT11, but it is global(IOW, all tracks will be on INPUT-only). As a workaround(say you want to rehearse a part before recording it), just add an AUX track with the same input as the desired AUDIO track so you can hear your input without any other fuss

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As a workaround(say you want to rehearse a part before recording it), just add an AUX track with the same input as the desired AUDIO track so you can hear your input without any other fuss
Thanks heaps for chiming in with “the most important bit of info” that BassManJack needs!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassManJack View Post
It is as I thought that 11.x vanilla does not support Input monitoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As a workaround(say you want to rehearse a part before recording it), just add an AUX track with the same input as the desired AUDIO track so you can hear your input without any other fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassManJack View Post
I do have a valid copy of 12.x however due to installing some 'Legacy Drivers' attempting to get my MBox 2 working V12.x will not install.
Backup your Pro Tools 11 (so you can easily revert, if you have problems with Pro Tools 12)

Are you no longer using your MBox2? (I'll read MBox2 as a typo)

You could try uninstalling the Legacy Driver, download and install the latest MBox Pro Driver from:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...ox-Pro-Drivers

Then install Pro Tools 12.

Last edited by unkJE; 04-12-2017 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Backup first
Old 04-12-2017, 06:18 AM

Thanks Dave for the awesome work around! Tested and verified!

unkJE, you are very correct. Any change should start (and finish) with a verified backup. (A backup is no good if ya can't restore from it)

I still have my MBox 2, However, when I first installed Pro Tools 12.0 on a fresh Operating System and new PC hardware, I could not get the inputs to work from the MBox 2. I know how to easily resolve the issue now by clicking the Default button on the I/O Setup, but at the time it was as an excuse to purchase the MBox 3 Pro hardware with more inputs. I Was also under pressure from friends that wanted to record things at the time, so since I got PT 11.x working I have been reluctant to mess up my system

I have gone thru "Add and Remove Programs" plus Device Manager and can't find any thing else to uninstall re 'Legacy Drivers' for MBox hardware etc. I haven't searched for any third party driver managers etc.

Thanks