Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2017, 06:57 PM

Default Xpand 2 - Mapping Keyboard

Is there a way to trigger samples in XPand 2 using the computer keyboard? Similar to the "Musical Typing" option when playing VIs in Garageband. I found two other programs that allow u to do this. Hydrogen, which I couldn't even use cuz you need OS X 10.12 and I'm still on 10.10. The other, Soundplant, is a standalone app, so I can't run it in PT. Anyone know any others that'll work in PT w my comp keyboard? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Xpand 2 - Mapping Keyboard

theres a program called bomes midi keyboard. download that and also loopbe. loopbe is a midi info router. pretty much bomes midi keyboard lets you use your computer keyboard and sends the midi info via loopbe. I used the combination for at least a year before purchasing a midi controller. Etremely low latency.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmannmuzik View Post
theres a program called bomes midi keyboard. download that and also loopbe. loopbe is a midi info router. pretty much bomes midi keyboard lets you use your computer keyboard and sends the midi info via loopbe. I used the combination for at least a year before purchasing a midi controller. Etremely low latency.
I just woke up for work and noticed this post; it made my morning.. then I checked out bones classic and, of course, it's windows only! BAH!!! I have a Mac!

Oh well. Thanks for the heads up tho. I'm gonna give in and buy a cheap used keyboard. Did u go with weighted or non? I've read that if you aren't specifically using the keyboard for piano parts it's better to go anon-weighted. What's your opinon? Both of the cheap used keys I've found are semi-weighted. One of them has like 8 pads as well, so that might work.. assign drums to pads and other synth suff to keys.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmannmuzik View Post
Have you heard of MidiStroke? I think this may be the same type of thing as Bomes, but for Mac. I have no background in MIDI and had trouble understanding it's description, as I did with bomes. Here's the app link:
http://www.charlie-roberts.com/midiStroke/

Thanks again.