Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 04-19-2017, 03:51 AM

Default Problem converting PT12 EDU license to regular license

A friend who has now graduated (so no longer a student) has a PT12 EDU license with annual upgrade plan.

The upgrade plan is about to expire (on 22nd April 2017).

My friend bought an annual upgrade plan renewal from Sweetwater, but when he tries to apply the activation code from within his Avid account, it says that the code is not valid.

He then contacted Avid. A support person there is telling him that it is not possible to upgrade from an EDU license to a regular one by buying a regular upgrade plan and applying it to his Avid account, saying that it is necessary to purchase a reinstatement plan at $299.

This seems totally at odds with everything I know about the subject. Certainly I was able to upgrade my two Pro Tools 12 licenses from EDU to regular just by buying the regular annual upgrade plan.

I can't find any information either here or on Avid's site to say that licensing T&C have changed.

It would mean that all ex EDU users would have to pay $299 as soon as their EDU plan expires to keep PT current.

Can anyone confirm what the current position is? Jeffro? Southside? Any other Mod?
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 04-19-2017, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Problem converting PT12 EDU license to regular license

It certainly seems like the Pro Tools Upgrade Reinstatement Plan is the only option from what I can tell. I've sent a message to Avid for clarification. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:22 AM

Hey Nigel,

Welcome back

The Stig is on the case and you will have an answer swiftly.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-19-2017, 04:58 AM

Thanks guys ;-)

Yeah, I've been pretty silent recently, dealing with some serious ill health in the family, so not much time to hang out here.

Plus felt I'd probably said more than my fair share ;-)

It just seems most odd that Avid would change T&C so that as soon as students graduate, they have to pay $299 to get onto a regular upgrade plan.

I definitely only paid the $99 to 'convert' both my EDU licenses to regular.

I've spent an hour or so trawling the FAQs and other parts of Avid's site, but can find nothing that clarifies it.

Just so we are 100% clear...

My friends PT12 license is perpetual, bought with EDU eligibility, and his upgrade plan is current at the moment.

The upgrade plan due to run out in three days time, but he should then have the 30 days grace that we all get before it would be a case of buying a reinstatement license.

If he tries to renew via his Avid account, that only gives him the option to renew with EDU eligibility, and that would require him to prove he is still eligible, which he is not, as he graduated last summer.

I was away at the time, so he couldn't contact me to ask my advice. He bought an annual upgrade plan from Sweetwater instead, assuming that would work, but when he tries to apply the activation code within his Avid account he gets a message saying that it isn't a valid code.

I can see nothing in any of the DUC posts here in the licenses section to suggest that anyone else has come across this problem. I suspect there would have been plenty of people talking a lot about it if Avid had quietly changed the T&C so that former students could no longer upgrade without paying a reinstatement penalty.

So it seems quite odd.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:14 AM

All the best to you and your family.

I've been trawling too, but couldn't find anything. I may very well have missed it, but hopefully someone from Avid will chime in soon.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
All the best to you and your family.

I've been trawling too, but couldn't find anything. I may very well have missed it, but hopefully someone from Avid will chime in soon.
It definitely used to be the case that after your student life was over, you just bought a regular upgrade plan, or upgrade and support plan, whichever you wanted.

I did it myself with two licenses.

Asking ex students to pay the reinstatement fee, when their plan is up for renewal, rather than the regular renewal fee, seems most odd.

Talk about kicking them where it hurts when they are just stating out.