Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2001, 04:52 PM

Default Digi & others, when my Quicksilver G4 arrives, should I uninstall OS X immediately?

As OS 9 & OS X are both gonna be present on my new baby, I assume that my first out-of-box experience should be to UNINSTALL the alledgely(??) problematic OS X...

I will only be using this double-drive G4/733 for 001-borne music production, so I am hoping to guarantee that my only problems in this venture will be "writer's block."

Digi, what is the absolute latest on this??

My last understanding is that problems with OS X and PT LE are only when OS X is added to an older, existing rig/set-up... no??

Please share... I want a smooth PT experience from the jump,

Many thanks for your troubles,
Midi [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2001, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Digi & others, when my Quicksilver G4 arrives, should I uninstall OS X immediately?

No need to uninstall X. Just boot in 9.1 and all will be well. I added X after I had my 001 and haven't had any problems. I never try to run PT in X, but it works fine in 9.1.

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Lucky ]
Old 07-30-2001, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Digi & others, when my Quicksilver G4 arrives, should I uninstall OS X immediately?

Everyone,

I think that's asking for trouble. With all the 'warnings' et al.

Have you ever had your files corrupted?
It ain't pretty(I had a virus that destroyed all my Vision files...and even Dave O couldn't put them back together again)

But why anyway? So you can run IE 5.5 and Appleworks 6 ???

>>IE 5.5 is definately flawed big time. Java doesn't work right. You can't even download from Digidesign's website. IMHO

>>>MidiMidiBangBang,

Check this link. Did you order the twin view Nvidia card? Basically, the major difference between these machines is said to be the video cards.
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...c&f=1&t=003315

Good luck. BTW- it's good for other members to know your detailed setup. IDE drives?

Apple is telling people these 5400 rpm drives have a data throughput of ....blah, blah,blah.

>>>It is seek time that is important for DAW recording!!! Thus the 7200 rpm spindle speed.

FYI

Thanks in Advance
Old 07-30-2001, 08:59 PM

"aka,"

I actually HAD ordered the TwinView graphics upgrade... but, to my surprise, there was no simple way to connect the 2 15" Apple Studio Displays!!!!!!!!!! D'oh! It's my fault, having assumed that since Apple was bragging of dual-display support with this nifty card that they meant dual Apple displays. No, no, no, no, no, my friend. That would make too much sense... instead, they probably have a cut of the DrBott's profits of the BAND-AID solution -- what they call the DVIator cable + a second (RADEON) card. Total addition bucks = almost $400!! I insisted that they refund me for the TwinView premium since their customer service folks were the ones who also thought TwinView meant 2 (ADC) Apple displays.

Regarding the IDE drives...

both of my internal drives on the Quicksilver G4 are 7200rpm.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:09 PM

I listened to the live broadcast, and I swear Jobs was telling the world: Dual Digital Displays.

...there must be a lot of graphics people yelling in his ear?

FYI- Apple education is still selling electron-tube monitors (Mitsubishi)