Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Avid Cloud Collaboration
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2016, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Cloud Collaboration cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post

I see your point and the answer is not at this time - they'd have to send you an email/text seperately to say you have a notification or change waiting in Pro Tools Cloud Collab.
Is this something that will get rolled in to the system?

The reason it seems, on the face of it, so simple to implement, is that the Artist Chat window relies on contact information used in the Avid Artist Community - the Avid Artist Community relies on contact information used in our Avid Master Account - our Avid Master Account already pushes private message alerts to our email accounts - our email accounts already push those messages on to our mobile devices.

So it would seem that a simple management option - using the existing system - would allow us as individuals, to opt in to having Collaboration Invitations pushed through the system to our mobile devices.

Given that a big selling point of Avid's Cloud Collaboration tool set, is connecting users across the globe, it seems an oversight for time sensitive opportunities to be missed, simply because the party being invited to collaborate is in another time zone, and cannot be expected to be sat in front of Pro Tools 24/7.

I'd rather my phone woke me up at 4 am, or interrupted my lunch break, or alerted me anytime I'm away from the computer, than miss out on a vital piece of communication - and possibly miss out on the gig entirely, because someone else was able to reply more swiftly.

In fact, an Artist Chat, and perhaps even more beneficial, an Artist Community RSS feed would be a great way for people to publish collaboration opportunities, when casting the net wider than a single potential collaborator.

Quote:

On the flip side - My Pro Tools rig always has a live internet connection attached and I have the tick box checked for 'keep me signed in' to my Avid Account in Pro Tools so if I get a notification it lights up right next to my toolbar letting me know.
As I mentioned above, that's great whilst you're sat in front of PT, but what about the hours when you aren't?

Further more, there a a great many technical reasons why I (and I'm certainly not alone here) do not want to, or cannot have my DAW permanently connected to the internet (if connected to the internet at all, for more than an essential up/download).

And whilst I have faith in Avid's ability to operate a secure, stable system, within the confines of their own products, I can't say the same of everything that is part and parcel of any computer being connected to the internet.

There's also a broader, moral argument, that's rather off topic, but in addition to the inevitable time-suck on everyone's lives, that is subtext to everything mentioned above ; there's also the immense financial implications of developing a world where everyone is permanently connected online, on multiple devices, and the escalating environmental impact ; manufacturing all those units, powering all those devices, all those servers, and disposing of the exponential number of units orphaned by Moore's law.

Those are things we may want to consider balancing, as individuals, and as businesses.

Quote:

I'm confident nothing will upload unless I say so…
That's not really something I'm at all concerned about - believe it or not, I actually trust Avid in that respect .
Old 04-04-2016, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Cloud Collaboration cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmixer View Post
yes BUT you can only change your Avid Cloud subscription twice per year.
though that may change
What's the source on this info, if you don't mind...? Like to watch for any changes in that, if possible...