Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-07-2004, 09:28 PM

Default ADAT/Optical And Low Latency Mon. Not Working

I'm using an RME ADI-8 Pro with my 001, for both my AD and DA via adat/optical (RME being the master clock). problem is, when I hit the low latency monitoring mode (which I prefer) it does not default to zero latency like it did prior to the arrival of my RME. (128 sample is sometimes too low for my comp depending on session size)

any thoughts?

thanks.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: ADAT/Optical And Low Latency Mon. Not Working

Bloux, you can't do low latency using external converters, you have to monitor from outputs 1 & 2 for low latency to work.
So the tracks have to be assigned to output 1,2 or 1&2.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:34 PM

so in other words, I'll have to upgrade my computer (power) to be able to record at 128 sample rate?

so anyone who's using an octopre, digimax, etc. via adat in is sacraficing their low latency monitoring mode?
Old 05-08-2004, 11:22 PM

LLM does not "switch your monitoring latencey to 128" or lower, there is a built in hardawre mixer that works only through outputs 1&2 on an 001 and 002.

This is much closer to "real time monitoring" and much quicker than 128 - again, will only work on outputs 1&2.

I find multi-tracking at 128 - out various outputs on an LE system way too disturbing, any multi-tracking I've had to do on an LE system, all inputs were routed out 1&2 - just a 2 mix, running in LLM.

I'm tracking all my bed sessions on a Pro-tools HD3 ACCEL rig right now with 0 latency monitoring on 16 i/o

and I do overdubs, guitars, vocals, keys, on a digi 001 - however, when I'm tracking - I use LLM - with all live inputs, routed out 1&2 , and I use the light pipe, to send tracks that are already recorded into PT - out busses - ie...

all drum kit channels - Bus 1&2 - Aux - input bus 1&2 - output Adat 1&2
All Guitars - bus 3&4 - aux - input bus 3&4 - output Adat 3&4
Click - out Adat 5
Bass - adat 6

and the "things that i'm recording" out PT's main 1&2 outputs.

all returning up rails of a console.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 05-09-2004, 09:26 AM

I'm using my RME for its DA section as well as its AD (via adat out) from what I understand, the only way to work in Low latency monitoring mode is too bypass the RME's DA section and use the 001's DA output via channel 1+2?

so I would still be benefiting from the RME's better A/D's going in. however, I wont really be able to use its superior D/A section? (unless I set up some type of elaborate switching system or some type of spdif to adat converter box?)

????

thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 12:08 AM

Think about it this way.

You CAN monitor ANY and / or ALL 16 inputs to your LE rig, even the ADAT 1-8 INPUT. in LLM (0 latency monitoring) as long as their outputs are routed out your 001's main 1&2 output.

it's the outputs that determine the low latency monitoring.... so....

You CAN still use your RME converters it get adat 1-8 into pro-tools, and can monitor these inputs in LLM - through your 001 OUT 1&2 only.

If you route these, or any live input, out analog 3-8 - or Adat 1-8 you will encounter latency governed by your hardware buffer levels.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 05-10-2004, 12:35 AM

If you have a digi001 the spdif mirror will also work with LLM. I just recorded tracks through an adat-interface and monitored through an external DA converter and i could hear everything. I listened to the mix to channel 1&2

Bastiaan
Old 05-10-2004, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I'm using my RME for its DA section as well as its AD (via adat out) from what I understand, the only way to work in Low latency monitoring mode is too bypass the RME's DA section and use the 001's DA output via channel 1+2?

so I would still be benefiting from the RME's better A/D's going in. however, I wont really be able to use its superior D/A section? (unless I set up some type of elaborate switching system or some type of spdif to adat converter box?)

????

thanks
whilst you're tracking, i don't think it's really necessary to have a top shelf D-A.

if you don't have an analogue mixer, just route everything to outputs 1-2. if you do have a mixer, what i do with LE is create sub-mixes. for example, kick out 3, snare out 4, other drums out 5-6, bass out 7, vocal out 8, guitars out 9-10 and so on. this way, you keep outputs 1-2 free as dedicated monitor outs for what you are currently tracking. for example, if you're doing a guitar part you route the record tracks to 1-2. next you want to do a vocal so you put the guitars somewhere else and send the vocal track out 1-2, etc.

this, of course, will not work if you're tracking a whole band live. you will need to set-up the headphone monitor mix off of the console's (preferably pre-fade) aux sends or if you're using stand alone mic pre's (i.e., not the ones in the console) you have no choice but to buss the whole thing out 1-2 to avoid latency issues. unless you have a split monitor console, of course, but this can still causes issues when over dubbing in PTLE.

it's painful, i know, but it is a drawback of host processor based recording systems so unless you're willing to drop the money on TDM, it's your only choice.

hope that kinda helps you some.
~matt