Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 AM

Default Consistent levels for backing tracks

I have ten original songs that I want to use as backing tracks. I will be playing acoustic guitar and singing live through a PA with the backing tracks playing via minidisc.
I want the Bass/Drums/Electric guitars/ BV’s to be the same volume on every song - no surprises in a live situation. To achieve this, a friend suggested I solo each instrument in turn and make a note of the level on the master fader, for example solo the bass on song 1, make a note of the master fader level for just the bass, then solo each instrument in turn and make a note of their master fader level – then try to achieve this benchmark level on the remaining songs. This is not so easy to achieve, particularly in 7.4 with no numerical markings next to the fader. I would appreciate your suggestions on how I can achieve this, thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Consistent levels for backing tracks

I probably wouldn't bother micromanaging things so much.

I would just get a good mix going on all of your songs. Hopefully, if you are mixing them in the same listening environment, and using the same general approach in your mixes (as in, trying to create a sense of cohesion from each song on your project), your levels "should" be roughly in the same ballpark.

Then you can create a "mastering" session (term used loosely). Create a new session, and import all of the bounced versions of your songs into separate tracks. Now you can quickly listen and compare the levels of all of your songs against each other!

Toss in some gently applied limiting to add some gain to the quieter tracks, and you should be able even out all of your songs in just a few minutes.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Consistent levels for backing tracks

Thanks Tommyj

I hadn't thought of bringing all the mixes into one session, what a great idea. You're right, I'm not keen on getting too deep into matching levels across all tracks. I'll give it a go when I get back to my PT computer.