Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Pro Logic solutions

forgive the post on something that I am sure has been covered, but I find the search function yielding either too much or nothing. So here it is: I have a client that wants to convert a stereo mix to a pro-logic format. I understand the Dolby Surround Tools will do this. I am checking if this is correct. Also, once someone has encoded to a Pro Logic format, how is that authored into a DVD on a Mac, Can DVD Studio Pro deal with this format?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Pro Logic solutions

Prologic encoding is a 2 track matrix derived from LCRS, theres no point running a stereo pair through a PL encoder.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:51 PM

OK, so assuming I can remix to four tracks, then if that is encoded as Pro Logic, does that go onto a DVD as a standard 2 track AIFF/wav file? In other words is the output of the process a format that is recognized in DVD Studio Pro?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:26 PM

yes, it becomes a two track wav file that will play back in mono, stereo and if sensed by a PL2 decoder, will unfold into a surround soundfield. As best it can. It is editable. But not sure you'd want to do that to a matriced file anyway.

Does that help?

-scott
~a Dream Out Loud company~
Old 07-19-2007, 07:29 PM

yes thanks for the info
Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 PM

DVD Studio Pro also recognizes stereo files!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:37 AM

You may also want to try running the LoRo mix through an upmix processor and printing that on the DVD as an AC3 file. I've had that done to some of my no-budget indie films mixes and it sounds pretty good. I would put an upmixed AC3 and the untouched LoRo PCM track on the DVD

Also, a Dolby Digital track does not rely on decoding for playback, so you have more control of the final sound. You could make minor changes to the balance of the upmixed track if you want.