Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 PM

Unhappy MBox 2 Pro problems - no sound (Windows XP Pro)

My MBox 2 Pro has apparently stopped working......

1st of all - yes, i have checked my drivers, etc in Device Manager. It says the device is working properly....and YES, I of course checked my cable connections, etc etc. I DID see that the "SM Bus" driver had the yellow "!" next to it. I googled it and it said basicly that driver controls the managment of power (electric) and thus manages temperature of the motherboard (this is where I got a little nervous....). So I updated it. I don't think it did a damned thing. Probably a waste of time too. I didn't notice the conditions get any worse afterwards, mind you.
I use the MBox as my ONLY sound card on my computer, i.e., Reason, Windows Media Player, etc - all use this hardware, and quite well...until now. I first noticed the problem when i tried to play a .wav file, a rough pre-master i did a week or so ago. i loaded it up on WMP and the play bar was moving, the lame "tie die" graphics moved to the beat of the music and everything...just no sound. the first thing I did was check the connections. All good. So I thought if my MBox were malfunctioning then surely PT wouldn't run, right?...............Pro Tools ran just fine - the faders lit up, counters were counting - everything was great except NO SOUND. I tried pluging the Firewire cable in the 2nd port on the back of the MBox, still with no avail. I also know that unless your firewire port lacks power than it is not neccesary to plug a AC adapter to it. I tried it anyways....still nothing.

I REALLY HOPE SOMEBODY HAS AN ANSWER FOR ME - since it is IMPOSSIBLE to get someone on the phone......................:ma d:
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 AM

Default Re: MBox 2 Pro problems - no sound (Windows XP Pro)

You say it stopped working, so I assume you had it working befor ?

1) Have you checked that your Mbox is the Default playback device under :
Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Audio ?
2) Have you tested with headphones ?
3) Have you installed Quicktime ?
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=133039
4) Have you used the Tech Support Folder (for Pro Tools 8) to trash preferences, remove plugins, delete pt folders, etc ?
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=25974
5) Do you have service pack 3 (sp3) installed ?
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5&itemid=22905
6) Have you heard about paragraphs ?

I can't se you are saying what computer system you got. Are you shure it is supported ?
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...gid=1&eid=6757
Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 PM

/Program Files/ProTools and double click DigiDrivers. Click Present Device Audio Driver and launch Pro Tools.

filosofem
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 PM

OKAY - this is weird........i just turned on my PC and TADA - i have sound again! I didn't do anything more since the last time I was on it...

it works now... (????)

i dont know what the hell is going on......but i appreciate you two getting back to me so promptly. I'll keep you guys posted....as i am sure something else will come up
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 PM

I actually think this may be a power issue......I have a 30" Samsung monitor for which I had to install a bigger power supply. I was reading on Intel's website about the SM Bus driver. This driver apparently regulates power distribution for the motherboard. My girlfriend was editing some photos on Photoshop for over 8 hrs, so maybe it just shut off the sound card to conserve power, and prevent overheating......

I don't know - like I said...weird