Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 06-12-2016, 02:11 PM

Default Help Requested - Artist Control Rotary Encoder

I've hit an interesting issue that I can't seem to diagnose.

On my Artist Control the lower right encoder (Rear L/R for panning) has become occasionally unresponsive. It always responds when pushed in to zero it. However, left/right function will sometime work and then other times just not function or jump in small amounts.

What makes this confusing is that going into test mode, the rotary and push functions all check-out normal. Perfectly normal - no issues at all for any of the rotary encoders. Sometimes it will be working normal, then stop working for multiple spins and then work normally again.

So, I started to think this was some strange interrupt problem but all of the other rotary dials work normally. I seem to remember something about rotaries showing up in the errata for the recent EuCon release.

I initially had two Artist Mix units, an Artist Transport and the iPad running the Control App along with the Artist Control in the dedicated network. I've knocked that down to just the Artist Control direct into the computer's network card. Same issues continue.

The Artist Control is a week over a year old.

So, I think I've eliminated everything but some type of Pro Tools problem recognizing the rotary input. The hardware seems to check out fine in test mode.

Is there anything else I should be testing?

Edit: One more thing I tried was to run on an older Windows 7 load with an earlier Eucon and Pro Tools 10. Same issues. Re-ran the hardware test and the rotary encoder had no issues. Numbers increased smoothly and decreased smoothly. Unfortunately I don't know the differences between the data flow for the hardware test that works and Pro Tools that doesn't work. I'd say it's a network issue but then all of the other rotary encoders should show the same problems with Pro Tools.

Andy

Last edited by alk3997; 06-12-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Help Requested - Artist Control Rotary Encoder

Mine does the same thing, with more than one knob, some more than others. I think they're just bad quality. My MC mixes are just as old, like 2010 and none of them have the problem.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
Mine does the same thing, with more than one knob, some more than others. I think they're just bad quality. My MC mixes are just as old, like 2010 and none of them have the problem.
Robert, thank you for the info. I'm curious, do your Artist Control rotaries show any problems when you go into the hardware test menu?

Andy
Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 PM

Just to close this thread off, the Artist Control rotary knobs are now working normally again.

Andy
Old 06-16-2016, 03:47 PM

How did you fix it? Mine is terrible in test mode too.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Mine started working normally again. One thing that might change it is pushing (not forcefully) on the touchscreen. It seems to have some effect.

The difference may be that mine continues to function normally on the test screen.

Andy