Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-02-2020, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Macintosh moving to ARM

Your Mac Pro will get macOS updates for 5-7 years.
It won't be any more 'obsolete' than any other current computer in 5-7 years.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
Your Mac Pro will get macOS updates for 5-7 years.
It won't be any more 'obsolete' than any other current computer in 5-7 years.
Uh where are you getting the 5-7 year number from?

AFAIK Apple has refused to give any specific time lime for ongoing macOS support on Intel Macs. Apple execs have painfully avoided any commitment when pressed to do so in recent interviews (like Gruber trying to press Federighi on this in his recent WWDC podcast).
Old 07-02-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

AFAIK Apple has refused to give any specific time lime for ongoing macOS support on Intel Macs. Apple execs have painfully avoided any commitment when pressed to do so in recent interviews (like Gruber trying to press Federighi on this in his recent WWDC podcast).
Typically Apple provides O/S upgrades for 7 years after a model stops selling. 5 years is when the model becomes “vintage”. I’m doubtful that they will not support a 50k Mac Pro for less than that time frame. I don’t think 2022 will come around and suddenly they disenfranchise the pro users they are still currently trying to woo back
Old 07-02-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
It's just what Apple commonly does. Catalina, which came out last year, runs on machines as old as mid-2012.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US

I remember my last G5 Mac working with new OS updates for 4 or 5 years after the switch to Intel.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitch View Post
It's just what Apple commonly does. Catalina, which came out last year, runs on machines as old as mid-2012.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US

I remember my last G5 Mac working with new OS updates for 4 or 5 years after the switch to Intel.
Last G5 came out Late 2005. First OS X to only support Intel Macs came out Mid 2009. So not even 4 years for a G5 that cost around 2k at that time.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
Last G5 came out Late 2005. First OS X to only support Intel Macs came out Mid 2009. So not even 4 years for a G5 that cost around 2k at that time.
yes thanks somebody actually looking at real dates.

A great reference is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_tr...tel_processors

Apple's last upgrade from PowerPC to Intel:

Apple shipped the first Intel Mac in January 2006
Apple shipped the last model to switch to Intel in August 2006

The last version of operating system release that supported Power PC was Snow Leopard, shipped in in August 2009

So several take aways from that:

Entire model range switched in less than a year. This is something that might well get repeated with the ARM transition... a lot will depend on details like how much has/can Apple designed the new silicon to scale up with multi-chip packaging and how much Apple is ready to support non-Apple GPUs, e.g. the Mac Pro and other high-end Macs will need support for high-end (non-Apple) external GPUs where the low end ones will almost certainly use Apple GPUs.

So "latest OS release" support lifecycle was in the range 3 years to 3 years 8 months.

Now the OSes got a little longer term support with minor bug fixes etc. but the number a lot of people will want to take away here was ~3 years as it's the most relevant time that might apply to compatibility with new Pro Tools release compatibility.

With so much complexity added by concurrently supporting two OS code bases it is in Apples' benefit to as rapidly as possible to a complete switch and then to end of life old stuff fairly fast. You don't want to drag an anchor in software development. And if Apple can get decent yield and especially with a multi chip module packaging then it's in their best interest to crank the hell out of each generation of that silicon. Jam it in as many new systems as possible as fast as possible and get their user base off Intel. And hopefully Apple and TSMC will leverage all their experience to get great yields and leverage packaging of the new silicon. Already being such a huge volume operation gives them an amazing ability to do that. And they may well launch multiple hi-low model variants around the same time to help with chip/packaging yield (i.e. the low-end Macs get all the CPUs with multiple core fails, the chips with more working cores go to the high-end models).

~3 years seems to lines up psychologically and financially with many people's and business expectations of computer life cycles. So if I had to pull a number out my armpit that seems reasonable. Now of course if if you can freeze your Mac on a release and just keep using it obviously it can be useful for a very long time. And to me three+ years is great, and again if I say needed to buy an Intel Mac to grow a business later this year I'd likely do it.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-03-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwixo View Post
Typically Apple provides O/S upgrades for 7 years after a model stops selling. 5 years is when the model becomes “vintage”. I’m doubtful that they will not support a 50k Mac Pro for less than that time frame. I don’t think 2022 will come around and suddenly they disenfranchise the pro users they are still currently trying to woo back
You are talking about terms used by Apple to mean continued hardware service and parts support. That has nothing for example to do with new OS availability, and wildly mistates the software support provided in the transition to PowerPC to Intel.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-03-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:55 AM

Default Macintosh moving to ARM

Snow Leopard supported PPC apps via Rosetta, but the OS itself was Intel only. It was also the last version to support Rosetta IIRC. Lion deprecated Rosetta.

Technically the last Mac OS that runs on PPC is Leopard. So if you’re basing timeframes off that, then I guess you need to shave another year off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 12:36 PM

It's worth mentioning that today most people expect to get much longer usage of a computer than we did a decade ago.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
You are talking about terms used by Apple to mean continued hardware service and parts support. That has nothing for example to do with new OS availability, and wildly mistates the software support provided in the transition to PowerPC to Intel.
This wildly misstates nothing. My 2012 iMac got upgraded thru Catalina. It will not be available for Big Sur as it’s now obsolete, however my Mac Pro, which while first released in 2013 but wasn’t discontinued until 2018 will still receive several future updates, as will my 2014 MacBook Pro. Their OS availability follows in line with their vintage/obsolete designations typically within 1 year. There are a few outlying machines that may get an 8th year of support and I’ve seen a few end at 6.