Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2000, 05:48 AM

Default Re: PC Fader bugs??

Thanx Dave and Jules. I am still resisting installing Pt 5 cause I am running a 9600/300 and am not convinced that it'll run smoothly, but if and when I do jump to Pt 5, I'll let you know if the firmware thang works.
Thanx again

------------------
Ray Fabi
Ton of Bricks Studios Montreal
514-990-2713
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 02-19-2000, 10:27 AM

Ray:

We have been using PT5.0 on our 9600/300 since early Dec with few, if any, problems. The PC fader problem that started this thread was there before 5.0. Strangely, the last two big projects I have done have been free of it.

I think you will really like switching to 5.0. It does offer a better look on screen (in the edit window) and the markers are great. I have not gotten into a lot of the features, like the variable tools. I do like the comment windows in the mix screen. Allocator is included ( I WISH MLCD WAS).
The stat. head scrolling is a waste. Too slow, even on G3's 4's I here.

We went to OS9 when we upgraded, so a few things at first I think we just a matter of getting used to 9. I do think the overall speed is slower. I am not sure how much of that is 5.0 vs OS9. I have considered getting OS8.6 and going to it.

I have complained about several issues on various sections of the DUC, but most have been leftover things and in a couple of cases, my fault. Our problems were always mainly with Waves and 2.8.1 seemed to solve most of that. Overall stability on our system has been fine. I did project a few weeks back for 7 days 10-12hrs, day and maybe had 1 or 2 lockups. To me, that is wonderful. We were doing huge files, 24-30tracks 48K/24bit that were from 10-36 min long. 240min worth of music total. We were doing multiple AIT/Mezzo backup/restores since we only had 2 18g drives. I felt we were lucky to have so few problems.

I still think the meters on both the screen and PC are slower than before.

Lynn Fuston of 3D Audio in Nashville came by to see ours. He works in our main room a lot, but has his own PT Mix Suite. He was reluctant to change. He is on a G3266(I think). I convinced him to make the move and he said he is thrilled now. Wish he had sooner. Check out his site at www.3daudioinc.com He has a message board there that is very helpful and widely used.
He is a Digi beta tester too I think. I know he is for Waves.

Hope that helps

George Cumbee
Classic Recording, Franklin, TN www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 02-19-2000, 11:41 AM

Ray,

PT 5 is FINE on my 266 OS 8.5.1, 224 Meg Ram, Bit 3, 7 card ext chassis...Dual Monitor card etc...No crashes today! Usualy 5 a week or so...

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-21-2000, 10:05 AM

I recently got an ex-demo (5 month old) 16 channel PC set-up which I'm running with my Pro-Tools (v4.3) system on System 8.6 on a 9500/200 processor with 256Mb RAM. I haven't had any of the problems described previously (Yet !) but perhaps I just haven't used the set-up enough yet (still getting the rest of my equipment connected, not enough interfaces etc.).

What problems am I likely to encounter upgrading to PT5 ? Will it run ok on this system ? I'm holding on for a G4/450 based system (with expansion chassis) later this year when the money appears.

[This message has been edited by Ian Greaves (edited February 23, 2000).]