Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-15-2003, 01:09 PM

Default PT 5.1 - Recording very lengthy narrative project.. ran out of recording disk space?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to transfer 3 cassettes (yes... that pre-historic format) into Pro Tools. Each cassette is 90 mins. It's all narrative stuff. At some point, I always get this prompter saying "could not allocate space for recording", and it stops recording. Meanwhile, my Preferences-Operation-Open ended record allocation.. is set to "use available disk space". I originally thought my cheetah 9 gig drive might have been full, so I copied the whole folder over to my firewire drive (100 gigs of space), and it still is giving me that prompter.

Any ideas? Is there a limitation to how much audio can be recording per session? Is there a special mode for such types of projects?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Re: PT 5.1 - Recording very lengthy narrative project.. ran out of recording disk space?

It means your disk is heavily fragmented and Pro Tools can't find enough CONTIGUOUS hard drive space to continue recording.

Use Norton or other tool to de-frag your HD and try again.
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
PT Ultimate, or whatever 2022.6 is called now
HDX 2 w MTRX, Dadman
9.1.4 Dolby Atmos over Dante to external RMU
Old 04-15-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Re: PT 5.1 - Recording very lengthy narrative project.. ran out of recording disk space?

Thanks Jeff. Umm.... but my firewire drive is brand new. And when I tried to work off of it, it still gave me that problem. And it has about 85 gigs of free space. Any other input?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2003, 01:37 PM

Change your open ended allocation to 120 minutes.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-15-2003, 04:01 PM

Ok. I'll try it. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:45 PM

This situation may not apply but be aware, if PT crashes in record the pointers remain at full disk allocation, meaning that everytime you reload the session it will see the HD as being full, and a prompt will come on when you try to record "this disk is full".
Check the drive in the finder and see if there is SDII file that has a "huge" file size, this is the crashed data. If so delete that data and start over.
This may not be your problem, then again Maybe!

WM
Old 04-16-2003, 12:32 AM

I have been having a similar problem with my 18 gig cheetah - with having allocation set down as low as 3 minutes and still "PT could not allocate... " Both 9 gig HD's work flawlessly....Never ever had this problem before upgrading to 5.1.3 (from 5.0.1) [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]