Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 AM

Default Any problems reported...

I just bought an external harddrive that had firewire and usb connections. When I daisy chained the firewire between my laptop and the projectmix and started recording. There was a popping noise but when I just hooked up the usb and hooked up the projectmix the normal way, it worked fine. Is there anyone using a usb external drive, and have they encounterd any problems using it???
PT8.0.4, M-Audio Projectmix
Fantom X7
EMU Proteus VX, Xboard 49
Glyph 500gb external
Old 11-21-2006, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Any problems reported...

From what I have read and know, you cannot use a USB external drive to record to. It needs to be a firewire drive. Do you only have one firewire output on your computer? If so, is there any way for you to get another firewire port that is on a different bus?

Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM

1. m-audio does not recommend using a firewire device (hard drive or anything else for that matter) on the same "channel" as the projectmix (or 1814, 410, etc).

2. what is happening (explanation of clicks, etc.) is the firewire is being clogged with too much traffic - and that traffic is causing dropouts of signals.

3. consider using an alternative method of recording.

4. you might be able to use a USB drive if it is 2.0 (higher speed) to record to, however, your mileage may vary.

5. you should also avoid "hub" type of devices that allow you to connect several firewire or usb devices (i.e. usb hub, firewire hub, etc.).

hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:31 AM

Dillion, thats exactly what was going on (what you explained in 1&2) and I've tracked several songs to the harddrive using the usb and the problem went away. The reason I inquired about this is because I couldnt find anything on the net about recording this way. All I could find is stuff about firewire. Thanks
Fantom X7
Glyph 500gb external
Old 11-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Mr. Layz.
I had the same problem, daisy chaining firewire doesn't work with the projectmix. Apparently SPKGTR has gotten it to work with his ozonic keyboard. I used a usb cable to my USB 2.0 port and have never had a problem since. Using a USB 1.0 port will only allow you to record/playback a few tracks. Make sure it's 2.0.
Good luck.
Jason
Old 11-26-2006, 05:56 PM

Yeah mines is 2.0... Thanks everyone...
Fantom X7
Glyph 500gb external