Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Aspiring producer needs help

ok, Im just a kid from Califonria, and after dabbling around with different programs (Adobe Adition, garageband, ect.) I've really found a love in recording/producing tracks. ive been doing a little bit of research so far about pro-tools and was wondering what you guys thought about the conclusion I've come to. Keep in mind that I know very little of what I'm talking about, all I do know is that I want to get deeper into this world. I was thinking about getting the Delta 66 PCI interface and Pro-Tools M-Powered Software. What I need is the ability to record multiple tracks at the same time (jam sessions) and I Know 6 inputs would suffice ( 2 guitars and a bass)
does all this sound good?
also what are the requiments for the computer? besides ram and processor speed what else do I need?
I want to make sure that if I go out and by the delta 66 and the software that everythign will work smoothly. I dont want to go out and by things, and have them not be able to do what I want them too...
I don't understand much of the lingo.

I realize I may be asking a very stupid question, or asking a question in the wrong place, if I am in the wroong palce please dirrect me to the right place.

thank you for your time
-Ian
Old 08-15-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Aspiring producer needs help

Dude, I know just how you feel at this point in your production/engineer career. All I can tell you at this stage is to read all you can about your craft before you dive too far into it. My 1st real system was reason 2.5 and a midi controller. If you really wanna get into the worl of Pro Tools your best bet is to stick with Digi and get the digi 002 and it comes with the software already. I'm not to familiar with the M-Powered stuff yet so I can't tell you that much but since digi is industry standard, that your best bet.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:14 PM

Thanks a lot taylor, The digi 002 looks cool, but a little to expensive for me. what would be the pro's to that over what I had in mind though? (other then the ability to take it to live shows and use it there)
I Am reading up, but its a lot to take in at first, or so it seems.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:17 PM

Well, I use M-Powered, and it's great thus far. I've yet to have bands in here, but to my own use, it's a really good program. Thing is, because I have one computer for everything, it's gonna be a little sluggish. you need AT LEAST 512 megs of RAM, and at least a 120 GB hard drive, SOLELY for PT, with 7200 rpm and an 8 mg cache to run decently. It's a huge program with the best stuff in it, so it's gonna need space. and, as with any pro audio, it does cost to play with the big dogs, but I also do know where you stand. I started with a DOWNLOADED trial version of Multitrack Studio, and the onboard computer sound card. Get some books and familiarize yourself with everything, then look into gettin your gear, as the last post suggested by taylor. and good luck
Old 08-15-2005, 08:42 PM

One of the best reasons you have to get the M-Powered version as opposed to the 002 or other LE version, is that your M-Audio interface won't become almost useless if you decide you like some other software better.

Keeping in mind that I use Pro-Tools (Mix) all day, every day--I still love Audition and use it for many things that Pro-Tools can't do. I've thought about purchasing the M-Powered version myself as a second system that I can have on my PC with Audition. (I use PT on a Mac).

I think the M-Powered version will be a very safe bet.

"I bent my wookie"
Old 08-15-2005, 09:22 PM

The only thing about the Delta 66 is if you want to use all 6 inputs you need something that will interface with the S/PDIF inputs.

I have one and run my SB Audigy 2 into the S/PDIF. Seems OK.

There are only the 4 analogue inputs but if you're cool with that then...