Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 AM

Default Remove overlaps and leave gap...

... doesn't work in 10.3.9, and it seems it didn't in PT 9 either.

Anyone else? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Remove overlaps and leave gap...

I'm not sure I follow, but on some tracks, if I want a space, I just select the area and hit delete

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 AM

Ok, my bad. Poorly explained.

It's a dedicated feature. Event operations > change duration. There, I can choose to remove any overlapped notes, and set a user-definable gap. Very handy when using a legato mono synth sound where I want portions of the performance to NOT be legato.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 AM

Works ok here on 10.3.8, also worked in 9 for me. Is is possible it's a selection issue? I've sometimes had event operation windows fail to see the current selection correctly and only by re-selecting the passage can I get them to apply properly. Also check that you have 'limit range' switched off, as I think this is on by default and can cause it to ignore some notes.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the tips, but that's not it. I'm not aware of any more ways to select notes or clips, and limit range is off. I can't make it work with notes or clips, not in the edit window and not in the MIDI editor.

I've also opened two other sessions, and this feature doesn't work there either.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Hmm interesting. The MIDI region you are trying to apply it to - what is it and how was it generated? Chords or single notes, played in via keyboard or software created? On a MIDI track or an instrument track? Have you tried consolidating it to a new region?

If you upload a copy of one of your sessions I can have a go and see if it works on my system.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:21 AM

Have you tried doing this through "real-time midi properties"?

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 09-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Hmm interesting. The MIDI region you are trying to apply it to - what is it and how was it generated? Chords or single notes, played in via keyboard or software created? On a MIDI track or an instrument track? Have you tried consolidating it to a new region?

If you upload a copy of one of your sessions I can have a go and see if it works on my system.
It's a MIDI recording that I played and recorded onto an instrument track, and it's single notes, except for some overlaps that I was trying to remove elegantly. I have now tried the same on a new consolidated clip, and that didn't work either.

Link to the session below. Thanks a lot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acy038qnj1...iking.ptx?dl=0

Quote:
Have you tried doing this through "real-time midi properties"?
I have tested this now, and it does work, but... doesn't RTMP differ a bit from event operations in this area? I seem to recall that you could leave the entire performance alone, even though everything was selected, except overlapping notes?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:38 AM

Ok so I downloaded your session and tried it, and sure enough it doesn't work at all. But here's the kicker - now when I open my own sessions it doesn't work in them either!!! It definitely did when I tried it yesterday!

WTF?

Am trashing prefs now...
Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 AM

Ok mystery solved. The 'remove overlaps and leave gap' function only works on overlaps of the same note. That's why it worked for me yesterday, I was working on a kick drum channel at the time so tried it out with 2 C1 notes. Excerpt from the manual below:

Quote:
Remove Overlap
The Remove Overlap option removes any note overlap for all notes of the same pitch. This command is different from Legato in that non-overlapping notes of the same or different pitches remain unchanged. To create a gap between previously overlapping notes, enter the gap in beats and ticks.
I guess it's designed more for cleaning up MIDI where regions overlap, eg when you drop in. You can use the legato function to create gaps but as your part is a mixture of long and short notes this won't help either. So I don't think PT actually has a function to do what you're trying to do unless I'm misunderstanding something. But the 'remove overlap' function is definitely function properly as per its description from the manual.