Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Employment
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 09:03 AM

Default Work experience wanted (UK)

Hello all,

A bit of an unusual request but thought I'd stick some feelers out!

30 something, currently self employed in the IT field and having dabbled with PT as a hobbiest for the past few years, now vaguely considering a change of direction.

Although its a bit of an ask, what I'm looking for is a few days of commercial (unpaid!) work experience, sitting in on a session or in post to get a feel for what's involved in the real world and hopefully pick up a few pearls of wisdom from a pro along the way.

Although my skills are self taught and pretty basic at this point in time, I'm safe to stick in front of clients, happy to get my hands dirty, not too proud to do sandwich runs and make the tea, and have absolutely no aversion to late nights and weekends should they be required.

Can come armed with own DT770's, PTHD11 and Waves Mercury licences should be it helpful.

Anyone London or South/South-East (UK) based fancy putting up with me for a couple of days, or just need an extra pair of hands on a project? Please do drop me a PM.

Many thanks!

Clive
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Work experience wanted (UK)

Welcome to the forums. You will learn alot just reading the random posts around here.

Sounds like what you are looking for is an apprenticeship or internship....just to put it in terms of what this kind of thing is usually called in the industry.

My advise, is that, although a certain amount of unpaid internship and apprenticeship work is required to learn the ropes, once you become an asset to the company or studio they should be paying you, not using you as free labor. And bringing your own personal copies of PT11HD and Waves Mercury would be sizable assets and most pro studios should already have those. So if they are using software that you have invested in, they should remunerate you in an equitable manner.

Good luck.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One