Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2002, 05:16 PM

Default Crossing over....

Fellas, its me again. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the best place to order a Powerbook online? The Mac store charges tax, and I am trying avoid all that. But, they have a special right now, double the ram for 40 bucks!! Should I just go there, or what??? Thanks in advance. by the way, I am selling my 6 month old Motor Mix to help fund the TiBook. $550 plus two 7 foot midi cables and free shipping in the costal US. email me if interested.....
[email protected]

I am SO looking foward to becoming a part of the mac world. Maybe I can get in one of those switch ads. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2002, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Crossing over....

YOu can double your RAM for less than $40 anywhere else.
THe Apple RAM specials are never special.

Go to Dealmac.com and learn it.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:48 AM

I see a new Mac somewhere over here.... over here...yes, there it is. You're the one getting the new Mac... yes? I see a G6/quad 1ghz machine with 12gb of Ram somewhere over there.... oh sorry, wrong Crossing Over Never make a purchase to avoid sales tax because you still owe it to your state as a use tax. Buy a computer from where you will get support.... or better yet, from a place that you will get support from when it comes to musical application use ;-) Not to make a sales plug here, but we do supply Macintosh computers...... I'll leave it at that.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BradLyons:
I see a new Mac somewhere over here.... over here...yes, there it is. You're the one getting the new Mac... yes? I see a G6/quad 1ghz machine with 12gb of Ram somewhere over there.... oh sorry, wrong Crossing Over Never make a purchase to avoid sales tax because you still owe it to your state as a use tax. Buy a computer from where you will get support.... or better yet, from a place that you will get support from when it comes to musical application use ;-) Not to make a sales plug here, but we do supply Macintosh computers...... I'll leave it at that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nice sales pitch Brad. Man I hate trolls......
Old 10-28-2002, 06:21 AM

Well he does have a point somehwere in that pitch, about buying somewhere to get support and not to avoid sales tax... I really doubt he'd have as much tax as I'm dealing with here in Saskatchewan ( 13%)
Old 10-28-2002, 07:12 AM

Buy it from Apple, get the ram installed ( if you do it yourself you void the 1 year warranty) spend the money and get the 3 year apple care. This is a powerbook, you will put this Mac in danger everyday you use it. Spend the money and don't scrimp. If you can't afford it... just wait untill you can, this way you won't find yourself on the whine list at Apple... Take your time and educate yourself. Find an apple store and hang out there.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 10-28-2002, 07:53 AM

Ive purchased from apple resellers that have installed their own ram.
The warranty still stands at one year.
Ask around its true!
Old 10-28-2002, 08:03 AM

yes true, as long as you have it installed by an authorized Apple reseller or Apple certified tech ( not yourself) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 10-28-2002, 08:31 AM

Whoa, there!

Putting a RAM chip in your computer DOES NOT void the warranty. Where did that come from?

I suppose adding a PCI card voids the warranty, as well....

Or adding a hard drive....

No.

Doing something like overclocking the processor voids the warranty, but not making simple user upgrades.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75314

Silverlode.

P.S. My favorite places to look for deals are:
dealmac.com
smalldog.com
macconnection.com
etc.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:32 AM

Above link was for Power Mac G4 Quicksilver. Here's the one for the latest Power Book G4:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26245

Silverlode.