Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2001, 01:33 AM

Default Thinking of buying a new computer

What should I get? Right now, I have a G4 400. I like to experiment with alot of plug-ins while I'm mixing and I've been running into some issues when I'm using alot of plug-ins (REALVERB is a HOG!!!!). I guess I need something with a faster processor right?
Old 09-09-2001, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Thinking of buying a new computer

While you'll still run into a lack of processing (this is the advantage of a TDM system), you may want to look at a G4/867... it will perform significantly better.
Old 09-09-2001, 05:51 AM

Hi there,

As a 450MHz G4 user, I feel your pain. While the 867MHZ looks soooo attractive, I'm holding off...

In the meantime, I've gone with a Lexicon MPX500 effects unit soley for reverb. It integrates digitally within Pro Tools via 24 bit S/PDIF, appearing as just another insert. Then by using my custom OMS patch document, presets can be recalled on-screen in similar fashion to a plug-in, plus all parameters may be fully automated over MIDI. This immediately saves me up to 20% of my CPU load.

Now I'm sitting back and waiting to see this whole OS-X mess sort itself out. 867MHz looks great now, but a Dual 800MHZ will possibly exceed its output by double. Imagine that!!! When Pro Tools LE is on OS-X running dual-processors, I'll invest in a Dual 1GHz (or faster) machine with possibly 3 times the power of a single 867MHz.

Now Digidesign will be bringing ProToolsLE into OS-X, wont they?

Phil
Old 09-09-2001, 01:01 PM

it will NEVER happen they dont want to piss off the tdm owners
Old 09-09-2001, 01:31 PM

Isn't there some sort of Digi extension or control panel preinstalled in OSX?
Old 09-09-2001, 02:26 PM

Apparently there's a Digidesign folder in OS-x.

I'd go with the base model and add the $200 866 processor upgrade and ultraSCSI interface. Don't get a huge system drive either. I've heard they're 5500 rpm. Might as well have fast seeks times on your system drive.

IMHO- Purchase an ATA 100 IBM Deskstar 7200 rpm harddrive for audio. Global Computer had some screamin deals on these. They're nice and quiet.
Old 09-09-2001, 05:50 PM

To Maxcap's question: Yes, there is a Digidesign folder in the Library/Audio/Plug-Ins folder. It is empty though.
In response to shaggy's remark:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Don't get a huge system drive either. I've heard they're 5500 rpm. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>this is incorrect information. Get the huge drive as it is 7200 rpm. Don't get the small (40 GIG) as it is 5400 rpm.

As for OS X, it will eventually obsolete all the other Mac OSes so what do you think will happen with PT or PTLE?

It has to happen.
Old 09-09-2001, 07:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by accession:
In the meantime, I've gone with a Lexicon MPX500 effects unit soley for reverb. It integrates digitally within Pro Tools via 24 bit S/PDIF, appearing as just another insert. Then by using my custom OMS patch document, presets can be recalled on-screen in similar fashion to a plug-in, plus all parameters may be fully automated over MIDI. This immediately saves me up to 20% of my CPU load.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just letting you know, I whipped up a set of instructions for a fellow DUC member on how to implement MPX500 preset selection and automation from ProTools.

They're fairly detailed, aimed for a beginner, so may be of use to others who use the MPX500, but have avoided MIDI like the plague.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I'll pass them on.

Have a great week.

Phil

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: accession ]
Old 09-09-2001, 08:07 PM

The system drive speed has no bearing on pro tools, If you use a seecond drive for audio, like your supposed to.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by accession:
Just letting you know, I whipped up a set of instructions for a fellow DUC member on how to implement MPX500 preset selection and automation from ProTools.
Please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I'll pass them on.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn Outlook Express!!!
[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] First it loses my MPX instructions, then once locating them, it loses the mail (and address) just sent to me requesting the MPX instructions.

Please email me again (Kevin?) and I'll send it over ASAP.

Phil