Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 AM

Default D-Command / Producer's Desk furniture question

My employers are fitting out a new control room with a D-Command ES 8 faders + 16 Faders + Producer's desk.

We're getting custom furniture, and I'm wondering how close we should bring the D-Command to the front edge of the unit that houses it.

The current drawing includes space for an external keyboard and mouse in front of the D-Command. My worry is that if we use the integrated keyboard in the producer's desk, the operator will have to extend their arms a long way to use it. For intensive editing sessions this sounds like a recipe for RSI to me. One of our lecturers is keen to keep the desk pushed back as in the current drawings, but I'd be much happier bringing it forward. It will be sunk slightly into the furniture as well.

Anyone got any experience with this? Does bringing it forward sound sensible to you? I notice that the keyboard is already recessed quite far back, and the current drawing includes about 20cm of space before the D-Command begins.

Thanks, and hope this makes sense :)

EDIT - oh, we're also wondering about the left/right handed config of the Producer's desk. Does anyone have a picture of their room with the D-Command and Producer's Desk installed so we can get a bit more of an idea of what we're dealing with.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Default Re: D-Command / Producer's Desk furniture question

In my experience, and I'm sure most people would agree, You will want as little distance as possible to the start of the console. As a matter of fact the only reason you would want ANY space it to use an external keyboard and trackball/ mouse. If you will be going with the producers desk tho, I would think closer to zero cm than 20 cm would be the answer. With the Dcommand you should be able to reach all the knobs without needing to get out of your seat. IMHO
Old 07-02-2009, 12:35 PM

I'm in total agreement, and hopefully it looks like we've got our way. They've made new drawings with it right up to the edge of the furniture. We're not putting a screen in the Producer's Desk, so there'll still be plenty of space for notes etc.

Cheers!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 PM

specs and photos for Argosy D-Command Mirage DC-40 on this page:
http://www.argosyconsole.com/html_in...mand_DC40.html