Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 PM

Default TDM Still Reins

Forget all these people to keep celebrating the advantages of HD native, or HDX. The viability, and the effectiveness of TDM, is here to stay for a very, very long time! Quite frankly, the advantages of any version of ProTools above HD eight, are quite frankly just not very important, if you record rock bands every day! There is very little out there for you above HD8, if you're just recording straightahead rock 'n roll, or straightahead live acoustic instruments! My recommendation to everyone is, take advantage of the prices of TDM.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-18-2015, 01:07 AM

Default Re: TDM Still Reins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Forget all these people to keep celebrating the advantages of HD native, or HDX. The viability, and the effectiveness of TDM, is here to stay for a very, very long time! Quite frankly, the advantages of any version of ProTools above HD eight, are quite frankly just not very important, if you record rock bands every day! There is very little out there for you above HD8, if you're just recording straightahead rock 'n roll, or straightahead live acoustic instruments! My recommendation to everyone is, take advantage of the prices of TDM.
I agree.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-18-2015, 02:52 AM

yup, not ready to hand over the reigns
of our tdm rig
till there's a reasonable alternative for our pro control.

our money system is still 9hd on snow cat
(just so we can take sesh's home to the imac),
but, really, could do just fine with 8.1 (with Heat)
or even 7.4, since we run masters through our analog chain, anyways…
e
Old 01-18-2015, 02:58 AM

Price wise, your thought is provocative. Even a few pieces of digital gear from that era are sonically still viable. Rarely does computer gear hold its value but a to d's like the old apogee ad-8000 se are still very musical and full of features that seem to sound better than some newer designs. Could be the big toroidal power supplies (which run very hot) but allow transients to survive sonically- any designers want to comment? Is that my imagination? What parts of your system are newer? Did the computer move forward? I help some of the studios in Boston negotiate stepping forward slowly. Many are still on 6.9 or 7.4 using scsi drives and making great records. If you need fast scsis.... Get in touch. I have too many. :)
NomadicWax.com
Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 AM

If i could go back in time,i would have not upgraded to HD native. Once you get past all of the bells and whistles of 11,my hd4 system with my pro control was more enjoyable for me.
Now my cards just sit in a box on a shelf... I keep wanting to dust them off and power them up
Not having my pro control in 11 is the major downer for me and
Makes 11 difficult to work with
Old 01-18-2015, 06:48 AM

Agree here love my TDM system very stable and reliable

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-18-2015, 07:56 AM

The biggest advantage of HD Native and HDX is that they are lots cheaper for their track count and DSP capability and immensely cheaper to develop plug-ins for.

At some point native computer power will undoubtedly exceed everything TDM can do and in some respects it already does but plenty of pro music studios are still using Pro Tools 7 every day. The dithered mixer makes it sound as good as anything provide you can avoid clipping plug-ins. I do think converters have improved over the past decade and the best new ones are worth investing in.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I agree. And it is not just for people recording rock bands playing live. Pro Tools 10 has reached such a level of sophistication and very few bugs that it will keep users happy for many years to come (me included).

I think the end of TDM is a watershed moment for AVID who are probably in a slightly better position than IBM and BlackBerry were a few years ago - but I have a suspicion that they won't be outlasting my TDM rig.

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM

I am actually buying a Pro Control right now because I lost patience with lack of Eucon development and I am staying with wonderful Pro Tools HD 10.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-28-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The biggest advantage of HD Native and HDX is that they are lots cheaper for their track count and DSP capability and immensely cheaper to develop plug-ins for.

At some point native computer power will undoubtedly exceed everything TDM can do and in some respects it already does but plenty of pro music studios are still using Pro Tools 7 every day. The dithered mixer makes it sound as good as anything provide you can avoid clipping plug-ins. I do think converters have improved over the past decade and the best new ones are worth investing in.
I don't agree Bob the computers are going to at some point he able to handle all the work load that's needed by today's standards. I quite frankly don't think there's any interest from the market for faster computers at this point. Computers are not selling at all anymore, the vast majority of the public use his mobile devices.

It wouldn't surprise me in a few years, if computers or even sold on the market. For other than business use.

Guarding the cost today, you could buy an HD three for 1100 bucks easy today, and 192's are going for around 420 bucks

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp