Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-14-2019, 02:48 PM

Default List of prefs and other files to toss on PT11

Hi,

It's time to do a little house cleaning. Is there a document outlining what files to toss in PT11 and where they are?

Thanks,

Ty Ford
Old 08-14-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Re: List of prefs and other files to toss on PT11

Here ya go

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...s-preferences/

For PC scroll down a bit on that page.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-14-2019, 07:20 PM

Thanks so much SS.

I found that just after I posted the question. It worked, but when I restarted after deleting the folder, I could not select any inputs on my DIGI 003R. That freaked me out.

The Audio/MIDI panel was open and I found I had to re-select the DIGI 003R there. Then go to the Pro Tools I/O screen and choose "Default" for the input. As soon as I selected Default, I had inputs I could choose.

So, minor weirdness, but I'm cooking again. We'll see if this corrects some of the weird stuff that 11 has been tossing me since I switched to it about 5 months ago. Come to think of it, tossing prefs, etc. was something I was used to doing several times a year after Pro Tools got a little wiggy.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 PM

Good to hear you are up and running again.

Which PT11 version is it and what exact OS? Mac or PC?

Our trusted member Pete Gates has made a great li’l app for trashing all the files and makes it a one click process as we coumd forget a files or a script somewhere that can mess with PT so depending on PC or Mac you could download and use that next time. Free and a lot of members use it here so totally legit!

Best Wishes
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 PM

PT 11.3.2 on an older Mac tower running OS X 10.9.5.

2 x 2.4 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32 GB Ram

I use a custom front end with an RME ADI-8 DS A/D converter and GML, Millennia Media STT-1 and Aphex 1100 preamps. I go in via the ADAT port on the 003R.

I just made that leap from PT10 to PT11 about six months ago. I think I can take PT up to some sort of 12, even at OS X 10.9.5.

I'm a little concerned about getting boxed by the combo of
A. Model of old Mac,
B. Digi 003R
C. OS X version and
D. 003R drivers

Regards,

Ty
Old 08-15-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
PT 11.3.2 on an older Mac tower running OS X 10.9.5.

2 x 2.4 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32 GB Ram

I use a custom front end with an RME ADI-8 DS A/D converter and GML, Millennia Media STT-1 and Aphex 1100 preamps. I go in via the ADAT port on the 003R.

I just made that leap from PT10 to PT11 about six months ago. I think I can take PT up to some sort of 12, even at OS X 10.9.5.

I'm a little concerned about getting boxed by the combo of
A. Model of old Mac,
B. Digi 003R
C. OS X version and
D. 003R drivers

Regards,

Ty
Depending on what exact vintage cheesegrater you have you can go up to High Sierra and if you change the video card to Mojave. Part of the challenge is getting installers for older OSX versions. Apple only has the latest Mojave available. However if you don't mind paying a few bucks I know that Amazon has older versions of OSX for sale with some on DVD and some on a thumb drive.

I have two boot partitions one of which is OSX 10.10.5 and PT11.3.2 runs just fine on that and a second boot partition that has OSX 10.12.6. Until recently I ran PT11.3.2 on there with the only problem being I couldn't import audio via the import file menu item but drag & drop from Finder worked okay. I now run PT2019.6 on that partition.

I don't think you're going to get boxed in with drivers for the 003 as I seem to remember seeing people here running the 003 on more recent versions of PT and OSX than what you have. As far as going to some form of PT12 you have a couple of options - find someone who's selling a used license asset of PT12.x or pay the $299 upgrade to get a combo license for PT10/11/12/2019.

QAPLA!
Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 AM

Thanks, I think the Mac is a Mid 2010.

I got to PT 11 with the PT10/11/12/2019 license, and have a version of PT10 (10.3.7 maybe) on this machine from before.

PT 11 has been OK, but sometimes it borks and won't play or record. When I try to play the play and stop buttons on the screen toggle and nothing happens. That's my cue to do a restart. There have also been a few times when I get a CPU complaint.

I realized yesterday that I had never done a "toss prefs, etc" procedure because I didn't know the procedure was very different from the PT 10 procedure. So, I've been running with the 10, 11, 12 install for about six months without a "cleansing."

I used to have to do that with PT10 periodically. I don't recall what they symptoms were, but it would do weird **** and tossing prefs etc. would bring it back to normal.

I'm still finding new stuff in PT 11 and for the most part liking it. "Oh I can do THAT?" Is there a "new for PT 11" document out there? For anyone finding this post and having that same question, yes. Here's that document.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...ev_B_80409.pdf

Some folks have kicked PT 11 to the curb a bit and moved on to any of the 12s. So far, for me, it seems to do what I need it to do and then some.

Regards,

Ty Ford