Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risey View Post
Come over to Cubase Pro 10 guys, crossgrade, no limitations, no dated engine, multicore support that actually has an engine that supports it lol....
I have been with PT since 2004 and early this year I made the change, best decision ever!
After being sent this latest email about the price change (my perpetual is valid until August) I spat my tea out in laughter that they expect users to pay for such a dated yesteryear platform that now only serves to keep the fat cat investors rich by throwing the odd free plugin at you peeps lol...
Peace...
Good luck
Ryan
Switching doesn't work when you have to collaborate with clients, studios, producers, etc all firmly entrenched in a Pro Tools workflow.

If it ever gets to the point where the fees don't make sense for my business, I'll just freeze my system and cruise as long as I can. I did that at pro tools 9 for quite some time.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Is it possible to extend your PT Standard perpetual license now for $99 before the price doubles on July 1? I see on mine there is no option to renew currently - mine expires in Sept 2019.
Yeah, should be. If you renew now it just extends your end date. At least that is how it worked in the past and I think they mention this in the sticky.
Mine expires July 3, 2020 and I might buy another to extend to 2021 just in case the Ultimate Perpetual renewal goes up...which I’m sure it’s a matter of time before that happens.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 06-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Is it possible to extend your PT Standard perpetual license now for $99 before the price doubles on July 1? I see on mine there is no option to renew currently - mine expires in Sept 2019.

You should be able to. My perp license expires Aug 3 2019. I just renewed for $99 to August 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-18-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
prices will rise until moral improves!
I was hoping that the new CEO would bring those morals but that doesn't seem to be the case, -or- Hernandez's ideas (and today's announcement does seem like his kind of thing) are just now getting to the table after being planned prior to the new CEO's entrance. The new guy could have put the kibosh on this, but didn't, so we'll have to consider it par for his course, too. It's a shame.

And to anyone who's suggested that Avid is attempting to usher people into the monthly plan, yes, you're right, and when the surge populates their coffer to an acceptable degree, they're apply more pressure to those who are sticking with their yearly plans. Ultimate's price didn't increase today, but it will as part of that effort, and probably within a year.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Someone let me know if I have this right. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Currently I have a PT SW perpetual license. $99 per year
After July 1 that would be $199

If I Crossgrade to a Sub annual commit $99. Monthly $9.99

After a year does the crossgrade sub go to $299 Annual and $29.99 monthly? Or will it stay at $99 annual $9.99 monthly

Thanks for clearing my confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 PM

I have been using protools for more than 20 years, I am seriously considering the definitive transition to Logic X .. I don't like these new avid policies very much, over time and even up to 1 month ago I spent a lot of money buying many plugins in AAX format only I can never use again, avid has lost a historical sin user ... why not leave everything as it was? I still have 2 years of plan on my avidaccount but at the end of this I won't renew anymore but I will definitely migrate to another daw

Mac Pro 7.1 12 core, Intel XEON - Mac Pro 5.1 12 core,
MacBook Pro 16 M1/MAX - Mac Studio M2/Ultra -
Macbook Pro Retina 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 - Protools 10 - 11 - 12 - 2023.6 / Logic Pro X / Luna / Universal Audio Apollo Quad - Apollo x6 - Apogee Ensamble - Apogee Duet - Pro tools HD 2 - Protools HDX...

Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I was hoping that the new CEO would bring those morals but that doesn't seem to be the case, -or- Hernandez's ideas (and today's announcement does seem like his kind of thing) are just now getting to the table after being planned prior to the new CEO's entrance. The new guy could have put the kibosh on this, but didn't, so we'll have to consider it par for his course, too. It's a shame.
It was the Avid board who wanted Pro Tools to go to subscription (after they failed to move Pro Tools users to "service agreements".) They tied Hernandez's bonuses to how much he moved customers to subscription (and not company profitability.) This was never a Hernandez plan -- he was just brought in to execute their "vision" to escape bankruptcy.

...and that's how end up to today. Board hasn't changed and they still think this is the plan to profitability (and, on paper, the dependable revenue on a quarterly basis looks good to investors so Avid has raised their stock value from being delisted to showing up somewhere with low figures.)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Can we also talk about the fact that with the new pricing:
"three years update plan" equals "Full Perpetual price"
Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risey View Post
Come over to Cubase Pro 10 guys, crossgrade, no limitations, no dated engine, multicore support that actually has an engine that supports it lol....
I have been with PT since 2004 and early this year I made the change, best decision ever!
After being sent this latest email about the price change (my perpetual is valid until August) I spat my tea out in laughter that they expect users to pay for such a dated yesteryear platform that now only serves to keep the fat cat investors rich by throwing the odd free plugin at you peeps lol...
Peace...
Good luck
Ryan
That's what I did ...I got a great deal and it is very stable.....
Old 06-18-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbthias View Post
Can we also talk about the fact that with the new pricing:
"three years update plan" equals "Full Perpetual price"
Yeah I saw that as well. I think they are going to kill any new perpetual licenses. Otherwise they are not gonna really be able to stick it us license holders. Asking for more than 599 for vanilla would be insanity and would hand competitors an even BIGGER stick to beat them with.