Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Default Re: What happens if I DON'T upgrade to PT11 before December 31st?

Seems a bit disingenuous on Avids part, not to tell anyone what specifically will happen after the 31st...

Amongst the confusion, which there obviously is ALOT of (2000+ posts in the licensing thread!), I'd hope they'll extend the offer past the holiday season, so at least things can be clarified between them and their customers. It's not cool for even their own staff to not be aware of what's going on, and the timing being during the holiday season seems very unwise for such an uncertain change.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
Seems a bit disingenuous on Avids part, not to tell anyone what specifically will happen after the 31st...
That's putting it lightly. It is known what is going to happen after the 31st. Let's not allow ourselves to be convinced that Avid is going to walk into their offices January 1st and say "ok everyone, let's now decide on this whole upgrade thing!" That's ridiculous. They know. And there's a very good reason why we're only being pointed to FAQs and other nondescript but officially-approved public information charts and graphs. And this is why that thread (and the countless others) are some of the longest in DUC history.

Keep that in mind when pondering how things will look January 1st.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Seedy behaviour AVID ...., Very SEEDY , why all the ambiguity ? just spill the beans
Old 12-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Default What happens if I DON'T upgrade to PT11 before December 31st?

King Louie the I
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 12-27-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: We love you Mr Hernandez - I am waiting for you to make me a killer deal on a HD|N and 16x16
Old 12-27-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam green View Post
just spill the beans
Why would they want to spill the beans? Then all the bean counters running the company would have to count them all again from the very beginning. And given Avid's continued accounting issues, that could take a very long time.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-27-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That's putting it lightly. It is known what is going to happen after the 31st. Let's not allow ourselves to be convinced that Avid is going to walk into their offices January 1st and say "ok everyone, let's now decide on this whole upgrade thing!" That's ridiculous. They know. And there's a very good reason why we're only being pointed to FAQs and other nondescript but officially-approved public information charts and graphs. And this is why that thread (and the countless others) are some of the longest in DUC history.

Keep that in mind when pondering how things will look January 1st.
And that's why I'm once again looking at Digital Performer. Depending on how the pricing looks from Avid come 1/1/15 (it's a pretty good bet it isn't going to stay at $199/$599 but go up) a single year's upgrade payment would come real close to getting DP8 as a crossgrade.

QAPLA!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:31 AM
rogga_bogga

I had a feeling this discussion would turn up as I am wondering the same thing. And because of that I took a screenshot of one of Tony's replys earlier in the discussion in the long thread.
Now, he doesn't mention any prices but my interpretation is that they remain the same, only the extra three months is the difference.

Anyone agree or disagree?

http://i.imgur.com/eakhVfl.png
Old 12-27-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogga_bogga View Post
I had a feeling this discussion would turn up as I am wondering the same thing. And because of that I took a screenshot of one of Tony's replys earlier in the discussion in the long thread.
Now, he doesn't mention any prices but my interpretation is that they remain the same, only the extra three months is the difference.

Anyone agree or disagree?

http://i.imgur.com/eakhVfl.png
Strictly interpretation, nothing more. The only thing that is constant is we'll be able to get on a support plan. I don't know what the legalities would be if Avid had a different price for 1/1/15 and later for the support plan. But think of this - from what I've read I haven't seen the weasel statement that 'prices and/or terms are subject to change at Avid's discretion'. Strict interpretation of that would say they're staying the same.

However, when asked several times, various Avid-connected people have said they don't know what the 2015 pricing will be. They also haven't said, as I understand it and correct me if I'm wrong, what will happen to those of us already on PT11 like what's our price going to look like?

QAPLA!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
The original poster asked about upgrading from Pro Tools 10. You have stated a few times in your previous posts that you do not own Pro Tools, so I'm curious as to what specific upgrade you are asking about.
I ordered the hardware+PTE and was going for PT11 "vanilla" - and stay on that plan forever since I felt $199 annual fee was reasonable to stay up to date.

But you still want reasonable balance in power between a vendor and you as a customer - and being able to re-enter a plan on conditions that follow principles of software industry in general i.e. 30-40% of new license. If nothing new of value apppears featurewise - you want out for some years.

Customer see new good things arrive each year - customer stay on.
Avid see a chance not to do anything but take customer money every years - customer want out.

This is a good healthy relationship - a balance between two parties.

When package was on it's way - a scenario worse than anybody could anticipate unveiled - and I returned that shipment.

Avid was under the conception they own the customerbase and can do whatever they feel like.
- Pay or you're out...
- We decided to double prices this year - pay or you are out..

And Avid is still on purpose holding back on vital information for customerbase to make plans for themselves.

So I guess my general question would be:
- When will Avid make the right turn so anybody can buy into ProTools without feeling beat up?
Buying any product or upgrade at any date.

Right now I'm not even considering Sibelius range of products anymore.

So I'm following this soap opera to see what happends in the next episode:
- Are the sheap going to survive or will the wolf take them all
- Did the survivors jump the fence or how did they do it
to be continued....
Old 12-27-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post
I ordered the hardware+PTE and was going for PT11 "vanilla" - and stay on that plan forever since I felt $199 annual fee was reasonable to stay up to date.

But you still want reasonable balance in power between a vendor and you as a customer - and being able to re-enter a plan on conditions that follow principles of software industry in general i.e. 30-40% of new license. If nothing new of value apppears featurewise - you want out for some years.

Customer see new good things arrive each year - customer stay on.
Avid see a chance not to do anything but take customer money every years - customer want out.

This is a good healthy relationship - a balance between two parties.

When package was on it's way - a scenario worse than anybody could anticipate unveiled - and I returned that shipment.

Avid was under the conception they own the customerbase and can do whatever they feel like.
- Pay or you're out...
- We decided to double prices this year - pay or you are out..

And Avid is still on purpose holding back on vital information for customerbase to make plans for themselves.

So I guess my general question would be:
- When will Avid make the right turn so anybody can buy into ProTools without feeling beat up?
Buying any product or upgrade at any date.

Right now I'm not even considering Sibelius range of products anymore.

So I'm following this soap opera to see what happends in the next episode:
- Are the sheap going to survive or will the wolf take them all
- Did the survivors jump the fence or how did they do it
to be continued....
No clue what you are talking about! If you don't use PT then why waste time and space here complaining and whatnot?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————