Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2001, 06:46 PM

Default Remote PT via Laptop??

I heard here a couple months ago about being able to use your laptop as a remote for a desktop PT system thru ethernet... It wasn't explained how to get it working, but it was said to work... Anybody know how to do something like this? I need to control a PT system from another floor. I can't use a geffen system because I have a cinema display. I just need screen, and a mouse... Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2001, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Remote PT via Laptop??

bump
Old 01-12-2001, 11:54 AM

Hey dither -

Buy a program called Timbuktu from www.netopia.com.

Install it on every computer on your network. Read the manual carefully.

Using this software, you can remotely control any computer from any other computer over any network - you can run Pro Tools on one computer via the internet from your Powerbook at home. I do it all the time. Timbuktu has been in my toolbox for four years. Can't live without it.

Old 01-12-2001, 05:29 PM

Thanks, Disco!!!!!
Old 03-02-2001, 10:06 PM

Hey Disco Doctor,

Would I be able to control my 9600(Mac OS 9.04 and ProTools 5.1) with a Powerbook 190 (MacOS 8.1?)

i looked on netopia's site but it looks like the latest version doesn't support non-powerpc and the older version won't support 9.04. Am I stuck in the middle?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2001, 10:36 AM

Disco,
Do you need to install PT Free on your powerbook, or can you just open the PT file you need on your powerbook and actually arm tracks, set up a mix etc. all from the powerbook networked to your G4? Thanks...........
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 03-03-2001, 03:27 PM

When you are using Timbuktu, you are viewing the screen on the remote computer and sending your mouse and keyboard commands. The only data being exchanged is the monitor graphics and keyboard/mouse commands. You aren't opening applications on the local computer - everything is happening on the remote computer. If you are "Timbuktu-ing" to your home computer, 5000 miles away, via the internet, it's as if you have a 5000 mile long monitor and keyboard extension cable. That's all there is to it. You can also transfer files, chat with someone on the remote computer (via text or audio), exchange the contents of the clipboard between the computers, etc...buy it. It's worth every penny.

Newer versions of Timbuktu will communicate with older versions.

Old 03-03-2001, 05:35 PM

Hey Disco,

Thanks for the info. I got another question which hopefully isn't too stupid.

My powerbook 190 will not work with the latest version of Timbuktu. (It isn't PowerPC-I tried to install the trial version but it wouldn't even install it.) Would it be possible to install and older version of Timbuktu (I think 3.0 is the last 68040 version) and the latest version on my 9600 running os 9.04 and PT5.1. Then control the 9600 from the Powerbook. In otherwords-newer versions can control macs with older versions, but can older versions control macs with newer versions? I have e-mailed netopia but they have yet to get back to me.

I would love to use my old Powerbook for something again, instead of sitting in my closet.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:39 PM

Have you guys checked out the free remote control program called VNC:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

I haven't tried the Mac version, but I've tried the Linux, Solaris, and Win2000 versions and they work pretty well.

Milamber
Old 03-04-2001, 12:23 AM

Milamber:

Thank you! That is awesome. I immediatly downloaded it. So far I have been able to use VNC to control my Powerbook G3 with my Powerbook 190 via eithernet. So I am hoping that I can use the 190 to control my 9600 (Same OS so it should be cool). The PBG3 window redraws pretty slowly on the meek little 190 but I was able to load PT Free-set up, arm and record tracks with no problems.

My plan is to set up all the tracks I need in the 9600 itself and then use the 190 only to press stop, play and record when in the vocal/guitar booth. This way the slowness of the powerbook won't bother me too much. Thanks again. I hope this works!!!

[This message has been edited by shadowbox (edited March 04, 2001).]