Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Native Instruments Komplete 2 Bundle.

Anyone using the Native Instruments Komplete 2 Bundle with ProTools 6.4 on a G4 or G5?

I am interested in purchasing this bundle but am a little hesitant about the stability of the Native Instruments RTAS plugins.

Let me know..

MrMidi
Old 05-18-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Native Instruments Komplete 2 Bundle.

some stuff works better than others....

some instruments sound better than others...

but if you find at least 5 of the 11 useful, than it's worth the $800.

the plugs come in rtas and htdm. i love the sound of the absynth, b4, pro-53 and fm7 and find the intakt loop player incredibly inventive and useful. reaktor and kompakt don't work that well, and i find the sound of battery and vokator lacking... kontakt actually does work pretty well... as always, when working w/ virtual synths etc in pro tools, it is advisable to save often and enable the auto-backup feature...

travis
Old 05-18-2004, 07:38 PM

Using it on a G4 with 6.2.3 HD2 and it seems to work sweet as.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:50 PM

Of course the bundle is fantastic, but I'm finding on my dual G4 that Kontakt and Reaktor are not stable. I've been crashing a lot. NI's recent Absynth update seems to have solved similar problems -- it's been rock-solid for me. Perhaps future updates will bode well for dual G4 users.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:29 PM

I have heard from a local dealer, although I doubt he has seen it with his own eyes, the Komplete 2 bundle is not ready for prime-time on OSX Panther or PT V6.4 but is a relatively stable on OSX 10.2.8 (relativity is very subjective). If you own any of the items in the package then the update is $579 direct,($500 from most dealers) so it looks enticing, and so does a barbed hook to a fish and I have many wounds over the years, I bought Kontakt early when it didn't work and before NI had the competitive upgrade from SSC(which NI told me they would never do, even after I pestered them for awhile).

Does anyone have Komplete 2 all up, well stress tested and running stable? Tell us all about it please! auckland yobbo - fill us in! I am hoping it is all there but I'm probably dreaming.

Other questions I am curious about:
- Are all the Synths and Plugins truly there in both RTAS and HTDM?
- I had heard the HTDM was not being well supported in Digi's future, just a rumour or ?
- I have not found a technical blurb on what HTMD actually is. Does HTDM use Digi's DSP chips freeing up the host system?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:06 PM

I have not been able to use the B4 since upgrading from a MixPlus to a HD accel on a G5 (Panther). Also, Kontakt has been fairly buggy, and only somewhat usable as an RTAS plug in. The TDM plugins do not work at all. The DFD option makes matters worse for RTAS. Absynth 2 works, but the editor often unexpectedly quits.

FWIW, Kompakt (Stormdrum, EWOrchestral) is very unstable under Panther. According to NI (and some at Digi) there is a problem with buffers and MIDI under Panther. This also shows up as horrible latency with most softsynths unless the buffer is set to it's lowest setting.

My workaround has been V-Stack on my PC, using the NI plugs as VST. If it weren't for this, I would have no soft-sampler or NI softsynth capability with my new rig :-(
Old 05-19-2004, 03:28 PM

Ok. A little more info after a day of real world stuff.

My system is a Dual 1 Ghz G4 running 10.3.2. (and as mentioned, PT's 6.2.3 HD2)

No crashes yet and that's running Kontakt, Intakt and Battery. HOWEVER, here's what I've found so far:

1. The midi tracks triggering Kontakt got out by a few bars (and took a few extra bars to stop). Sort of like the whole thing was delayed. So my guitar (audio track) finished the song a bar and a half before the midi drums and bass had. (and they started late). I quit protools and relaunched and everyting was cool. Might have a been a one off but wierd all the same.

2. You can instantiate the plugins in TDM but each one only uses up around 6 percent of one chip. We all know that there's no way they've made a plugin that lean so it must be using host but the cpu bar doesn't register anything so I don't know. There was a slight computer lag before playback and saving after turning three or so Kompakt plugins on in TDM.

3. When using just one Kontakt plugin in RTAS mode (with three instruments loaded in) the CPU bar freaked out and filled all the way up and protools refused to play. (overloaded CPU). This was the only RTAS plugin in the entire session. So that's wierd. I had clicked the TDM button in the plugin and made it RTAS so maybe it doesn't like that. Shouldn't be a problem though.

That's all I can think of for now. That was day one anyway.

(I mainly use Logic for these instruments and everything works perfectly...... just thought I'd throw that in.... )

-Andrew
Old 05-19-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
FWIW, Kompakt (Stormdrum, EWOrchestral) is very unstable under Panther.
New versions just came out today.

Doug Rogers post

Lee Blaske
Old 05-20-2004, 10:27 PM

auckland yobbo

Your path with Komplete 2 is of very much interest. Keep us posted if you can. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2004, 07:23 AM

I think of Komplet cause I am Reaktor user.
Anybody can tell me what are licence conditions?
Can I use different instruments on two separate machines?
Chalenge/response type of registration for all individual instruments?

thanks in advance