Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2001, 07:17 AM

Default negative latency ?

When I do overdubs, I am experiencing an effect similar to latency with the ADAT PCR sound card and pro tools free , except that the newly recorded track is not lagging, as would be expected with latency. The track actually leads the others by 0.10 sec. If I have 7 tracks already in the window the latency(pro-tency) is up to 0.20 sec. If I leave a few tracks floating around in the window, (far enough down the timeline not to interfere during dubbing), the "negative latency" is up to 0.30 sec. I don't use plug ins during recording but I'm going to load up a session just to see if it adds to this "early-ncy".
If I am recording, and I record arm a track without muting it, I get the normal quarter second or so delay,(monitoring latency) and I use a mackie 24x8 or ST Oram 24x4 to monitor inputs without latency.
Every thing seems normal except the writing to HDD which seems to overcompensate somehow.
A tenth of a second makes a big differenc, and most anybody can hear the difference if say the vocal leads by is 0.10 sec. It is easy enough to correct after recording, but I am curious if any one else has experienced this or if there is a cure for this problem. (e.g. Is there a setting for this, perhaps some combination of buffer or DAE settings?)

Bewildered and Confused...
Chopper
Old 07-13-2001, 01:25 PM

Default Re: negative latency ?

This is not negative latency - negative latency would be if you you heard your vocal from pro-tools BEFORE you sang it into your mic. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2001, 03:49 PM

That kind of negative latency I could really use sometimes!
Old 07-23-2001, 05:02 AM

I have the exact same problem with PTFree. I usually just move the audio I just recorded, that is usually slightly ahead of the rest of the tracks, until it is in sync with the other tracks. Why this happens I have no clue. At first I thought my timing was horrible, lol.
geetarbill
Old 07-23-2001, 05:04 AM

I should also mention this doesn't happen everytime though, but most of the time.
geetarbill